INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: shortened limbs  (Read 871 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
shortened limbs
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
I ran across an old Bear Black bear this weekend, I already have a couple, but this one was added to the collection because the tip was a little delaminated....I was thinking I would cut off a couple inches on both ends and remake string grooves...anyone ever done that?  It was too cheap to pass up the experiment, so here goes nothing.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: shortened limbs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
It has been done before, and successfully.  Naturally you will end up with a shorter bow, but you will also end up with a heavier draw weight, unless you really tiller it down and knock some weight off.  I would be careful not to shorten it up too much becaus then you will put stresse on the bow that was not intended by the design, although I don't see where it would be any worse than a guy with a 32" draw length drawing a bow that is rated at 28".  I don't know about the Black Bear, but many of the Bear bows used to be advertised as "draw length - unlimited"

For safety, once you have the new notches cut, I would add an overlay on the tips, possibly using the material you cut off.

Go for it.  Watcha got to loose.

JUST MY THOUGHTS
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
If just the tip is delaminated glue with epoxy and clamp- let set for a couple days and clean the overrun glue and shoot it. Cutting off 3/4" will raise the weight about 8lbs. If you cut 2" off you may not be able to draw it, or it will break as Jack stated. You will also lose all the working recurve. You can reduce weight by slimming the limbs down on the sides, but if not equal then you will have a twisted limb.
If you can email me a picture of the tip or better yet post it on here.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »
Considering what Ron said, I would go that rout first.  I have a 58" HIT BUSHMASTER that I just got cheap because it is just slightly dlaminated on both tips.  I think they can be glued and clamped and still make a good shooter.  

That is what I would suggest before you start cutting it down.

Also, if you cut it down, you might just void the warranty.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©