INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How do you like your old bows  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you like your old bows
« on: July 30, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
I know there are some premiere refinishers out there, but one of my buggaboos is the original markings obviously redone.
Do you like a Grade A refinish but at the cost of the original markings? Or do you like a bow showing its marks from years of service,(I am talking use, not abuse) but still carrying the original markings?
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you like your old bows
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
I know exactly what you mean. I'm sitting here right now looking at my beat up 62 Kodiak wishing someone could do the hole-plugging, fine refinish work and not lose the way the lettering looks. If I have one gripe about Don's work (I know there are others too) it would be the lack of accuracy in re-doing the lettering. It would be great if they could be photographed, then imitated for size, slant, and how particular letters are done.

Having said that, Don Ward is still the master in my opinion. He's starting to use the dry transfers to replace damaged or missing silk screens and they look 100% better than anything that came before. Good to hear from you "Earl". I need to get some pictures taken and post some of my more impressive recent finds and acquisitions! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
I had Don redo my old Ben Pearson Colt, the one that my mom gave me twenty bucks in a flea market for. I was maybe fourteen, and it was the most beautiful bow that I had ever seen. Over the years, the varnish flaked from the riser, and the wood needed protection.

The bow looks new now, and will last until I am gone no doubt. I too, wish that the writing looked the same, and that the serial number had not lost a digit in the translation, but my bow is alive and kicking again.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »
Cameron, I have had pretty good luck with plugging holes in a couple different ways. Never got one I couldn't see, but then I haven't seen anyone else do it either.
I have had great luck on redoing rough finishes with a combination of techniques non to tough and none include a rattle can.
If your interested drop me a line.
Next to the beautiful wood and excellent fit and finish on the old Bears, the beautiful gold penmanship of the Ser number are to me as necessary as just about anything.
I have tried to find a marking pen to duplicate the line, but haven't found it yet. Then we'll work on the penmanship and style
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
I like my collectibles "as is", like I find them
I have only had one refinished.  It was a Black WIdow X99 that was all sanded down when I bought it  The only reason I bought it was because it was marked "custom  made for GENE THORPE".  Gene was my mentor when I first got into tournament archery in Louisiana in the mid sixties.

I had it done by Rich Lopez (Droptine59) and he did a beautiful job for me.  Like original and new.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:46:00 PM »
I've seen some refinish jobs where the original script was left,Don or Rich had sanded all around it. It looked okay I guess but was noticable. Don has refinished several bows for me and has used his best penmanship on the numbers, they look fine. Rich has refinished a couple for me as well and his hadwriting is good too. I like the original bows best of course in my collecton. Sometimes you get bows that need to be rescued with a refinish job. They still shoot the same. here are some of my '59 Kodiaks, some have been refinished.
 http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/biggriz61/DSC00011.jpg
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »
I have refinished several of my own bows. 1962 Kodiak, 1960 Kodiak Deluxe, 2 Wing Tbirds, and soon a 1961 Kodiak Mag. I usually remove all the old finish right up to the decals and then softly buff the decal with fine steel wool to minimize the edge. I seem to get a small run now and then so I'm not any threat to Don's business. The bows are mine so it just seems that I should do the work. Besides, these bows are shooters not collectables, so the refinsh was to protect them while on a hunt. As to the hand lettering......the bows were lettered at the factory by several differnt people who are unknow to us. So what difference if it is their writing or mine? I do  the reletter in the same color and format as the original.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
Ken, email me with your address so I won't have to boot up the old computer to get it! Haven't transferred everything yet. I would like to hear your tips and tricks for refinishing.

Thanks, CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©