3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tapering shafts  (Read 419 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tapering shafts
« on: November 30, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I am getting some POC shafts that are 23/64. I want to taper them down to 5/16" at the nock end. Has anyone used them tool that 3Rivers sells for this? It is $99 so I want to make sure it is worth the money! Any help is appreciated.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tapering shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
If your talken' the taper plane made by woodchuck.. it works really well.  Been around for a lot of years. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
I don't know if it is made by woodchuck...just says "taper plane".
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
look up wes wallace's page,  go to accessories, there should be tims taper tool.  Works great.

Thats if you already have a belt sander.   It's a pretty easy jig to make.  

I tried the sand paper jig on this site and though it worked OK, it was more of a pain in the butt to use then anything.  

Another method I used on some ash when I first started was to buy a 1" thumb plane, or block plane.   Draw lines on the shaft, 3 6 and 9"es.

Starting with the 3, take a very thin shaving till the hole line around the shaft is gone.  Redraw the 3" line, go to the 6 and take the 6 and 3" lines off, then go to the 9" and take all 3 off.  Finish sanding by hand and viola a simple tapered arrow shaft.  Works pretty good if you take your time, the plane is super sharp, and you take off super fine shavings.   All to easy.  To sharpen it, look up the scary sharp plane blade method of sharpening, works like a champ.  And you can make a jig holder just for the 1" block plane instead of buying the jig mentioned.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
I have one of those tapering jigs. I use it now and then with good results. I now have a combo wetstone and blade guide to sharpen my plane blades with. I hope to be able to get the blade from the jig as "scarry" sharpe.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
You can build a taper jig yourself for just a couple of bucks. I wouldn't even bother with the sandpaper - just use 2 files.

http://www.tradgang.com/taper/
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Typical the taper on a 23/64 goes down to 11/32 over 10 inches. Going to 5/16 will change your spine a lot. Yes that plane is worth buying. Try doing one without it. Ends up trashed, I've done it, on a footed shaft no less.
lll

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
I have tapered many with a rasp and coarse sand paper-works just fine; but it is tedious. I send mine to Ted at Raptor Archery. He is a sponsor and does a fine job at an affordable price.!

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
The woodcheck is easy and great to use.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©