INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kodiak Special  (Read 1074 times)

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak Special
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »
Kodiak Special, looks like a light gray back.
I think 1955 or 56? I'm still waiting on it and wondering what I will get.

(pic sent to me)
64", 53#@28
I usually shoot 29" 2016s from a 50# recurve, what do you think?
Harold

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak Special
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
Sounds about right on your age estimate and arrow selection. If it has the decal, it's a 55. If it has a silkscreen it's a 56. I've got a few of these, and they shoot really well. You can go to archerycollecting.com to see the difference in the labeling. Let us know how it turns out! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, I didnt know if a older bow like this would shoot a weaker spine.
Harold

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »
Well I received the bow, not very happy with it. It was listed in exc. condition but the tip overlay on the top limb is missing. Its a 56, has the silk screens.
I really wanted to hunt with this, the LDB is to heavy for me to be comfortable with + you got to send it away after you use it.
I hate to but I think I'm gonna have to send it back if I can.
Harold

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »
Don Ward, aka Bowdoc or Steve Smith can re-do the tip overlays. Truth be told, if you are going to use one of these older bows as a regular shooter, it's better to replace the linen micarta tips with fiberglass. It's not uncommon to see bows of this vintage that have thrown a tip. If the limb laminations are ok, it's easy enough to fix. Think it over and good luck with whatever you decide. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »
I was thinking about having it fixed but I think I read somewhere that Bowdoc has a 6 month to a year wait now. I dont know of Steve Smith. I have wanted to hunt with one of these if only for a season, for a number of years now. I just wish it hadnt been a suprise to see.
Harold

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:47:00 AM »
Email Steve at [email protected]. He's a good guy and I bet could fix you up. CKruse

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
I sent bowdoc some questions last night, heard back from him this morning, very nice fella. He's gonna try and find a tip replacement to send me for a temp repair. Maybe I can do a little hunting with the bow before I send it to him for a full resto.

I did try to contact Steve also but it was through ebay. I didnt have his email at the time and I havent heard back.
Harold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©