INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Take-down History......  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Take-down History......
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
According to my catalog disc, the wood riser take-downs were only offered from 1969 thru 1972.  Is this correct? After 1972 they are only shown with the metal risers.  But I've recently purchase a "B" riser that is stated to be from the 1980"s.
When did Bear start making the wood risers again?
Did the risers in the 80's differ in composition from year to year, like the original Super Kodiaks?  Is there a way to date the risers?
Thanks
Tom I.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Take-down History......
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
to the best of my Knowledge, the Bear wooden takedowns were available in 1970 and 1971, with only a few made in 1972. Then the B handle was re-introduced in 1980 in the future wood material with the green stripe. It is generally agreed to by most collectors that the type I handles were made in 1970 and the type II was made in 1971. I know of no way to really accurately date the b handles made in Gainsville. Good luck!

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the reply.  That's a beautiful collection!  My B riser has the green stripe, silver colored medallion (surface mounted) stabilizer threaded insert and a threaded insert in the left side of the riser, just above the location of the stabilizer insert.  I assume it's for a quiver mount. Is your B green striped riser the same? Was the green stripe only used in 1980?
If so that sure makes it easy to date. I'd like a set of limbs for it.....can you help?
Thanks
Tom I.

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Could someone list the various package bow lengths considering the A, B & C risers with the numbers 1, 2 & 3 limbs?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
A riser:  #1 limbs = 56" AMO
          #2 limbs = 58" AMO
          #3 Limbs = 60" AMO
B riser:  #1 Limbs = 60" AMO
          #2 Limbs = 62" AMO
          #3 Limbs = 64" AMO
C riser:  #1 Limbs = 66" AMO
          #2 Limbs = 68" AMO
          #3 Limbs = 70" AMO
Above according to 1971 Catalog
Tom I.

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks Tom

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Hi Tom,
The green stripe was made for several years, not sure for exactly how long, I have a b handle made in 2001 that has a brown(natural) stripe. Limbs are usually available on-line, limbs with green tips would be from the period as your handle. they are good shooting limb but not fast-flight compatible.
Here are some of the bows I am shooting up here right now....

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I found this image on  www.archeryhistory.com  . It's apparently a catalog pic from the 1894 catalog.
There appears to be a green stripe in the riser in the Custom Kodiak TD.  
The labeling reads; left to right:
"Laminated Wood Handle Secret Futurewood Process".
"Monogroove Alignment keyway for positive limb fit"
"Changing limb weight is a breeze"
"Fascor Powered Laminated Limbs"
Doesn't tell us a lot, but another clue.  

Chuck...in the first picture above...isn't the bottom riser a 1980's B with the green stripe?
Tom I.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Hi Tom,
Yes that is the green stripe B riser, the only year the long bow limbs were available was 1984. The green stripe B riser can be be found on-line for sale on E-bay fairly regularly as well as the limbs. I sold off most of mine prior to moving to Alaska.
good luck!

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »
Chuck....
I was fortunate enough to win the bid on a green stripe B riser a week or so ago.  Which is what promted this discussion. Interestly, immediately after the auction, the back bidder contacted me and offered more than double what I paid.  It's a pretty nice riser, I think, and it's serial number is S2963.  The latches appear to work correctly and there are no major dings, gouges or scratches.  At some time, someone spray camo paint on it but most all has been removed. You can see traces on one latch and in the recesses
between the latch and riser. Most of it came of with fingernail scratching, without marring the riser. So, once I get some limbs, it'll be a shooter.  I personally think the Fred out did himself when he came up with this design for a takedown.  Not only are they beautiful, but they're practical and so easy to takedown and assemble. I've heard people object to the aesthetics of the latching system, but in my mind it's far better looking than a bolt.
Tom I.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi Tom,
Be careful with "out of E-bay" transactions with individuals you do not know. Why wouldn't the guy have bid more it he thought it was worth so much more than what you paid? Smells like yesterdays diapers to me... glad you held on to the riser. Your serial should be B2963 not S or at least I have never seen an S on a B handle before. Try a little laquer thinnner on a q-tip to remove the last of the paint, shouldn't hurt the factory finish any. Look for a crack in the riser, usually on the upper end right at the apex of the corner of the latch towards the back side, it is common for to find those in b handles from that era. I can post a pic tonight of the area I am talking about when I get home if this is confusing. Yes, I think they are the best designed take down I have seen yet! Not sure I want to shell out $1,300 for a new Heritage series B handle though.... I would like to actually see one of those first.
good luck,
chuck

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
CHuck...
My typo....yes it's B-2963...
I'm not exactly sure where you are directing me to look for a crack, but I've examined every area around the latches and don't see any...thankfully.

Do you know how the latch bases are attached to the wood?  They're not held in place with any machanical fastner that I can see. I suspect some sort of epoxy.
Yes, I saw the Heritage series on the Bear Archery web site....they're beautiful...but, like you, I think I'd like to examine one before shelling out that kind of money.  There is one other takedown bow out there that I would consider but it has bolt on limbs.  Their profile is very similar to the Super Kodiak's.  They're called "Predator" and can be seen at  www.huntersniche.com  . I think they're quite attractive and look like good shooters, and they're priced more reasonably...at least, I think so....
Tom I.

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Tom; what weight limbs would you be looking for your B riser. I have a few used sets of both MI, fl. Larry

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Larry.....
I think I'd like something in the 45 lb range. I can't handle more.  I love #3's but may be interest in anything else you may have...ie #1's or 2's.  
Thanks
Tom

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Chuck...please email me at [email protected]  I just heard from that guy again....
Thanks
Tom

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Tom Have a set of #3's that are 48# on the B riser. 64" leight. Black glass red tips . Would rate them 9 1/2 out of 10. I have the guarantee card to go with them from 2-14-74. Also have a very nice set of white number 1's that would be 39# on the B riser and make up a 60" bow. I shot this set in league for a few years. Still have the styrafoam box with the info on it. You can email me at [email protected] and I can send some pictures to you if you have any interest in the. Larry

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Alaskabowhunter: The first series of ‘B’ risers  from Gainesville only had one quiver insert on the lower part of the riser. The next series came out with two inserts top and bottom for quiver mounting. These Gainesville risers came out at the time that the Fred Bear Signature bow was  introduced.....My thinking is that these Gainesville risers are going to be the next collectables since there are so few of the original Grayling "A" & "B" around....
just my 2 cents

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »
Mooseran,

I've heard that there were "thin" and "thick" gainesville risers and the thin weremore desriabvle. Any knowledge on that?

BTW- The Predator bows are VERY nice shooters.

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
The riser are made like plywood. The 80's had thicker pieces of wood the newer ones are thinner layers. You can see the difference by the pattern in the riser.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I guess I should have clarified that question. The difference I had heard about was in the 80's. Something like 80-82 was one config and after that they were the other.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©