3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bad shots  (Read 832 times)

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bad shots
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Similar to some of these responses...when I "think" about what to do instead of "allowing" it to happen.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Positive Brain Waves....Doubt Howard thought much about MISSIN only bout HITTIN  :goldtooth:

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Every shot is a perfect shot. Every arrow heads right where I shoot it.
It's about time that we put some of the blame on the target! If the targets would focus as hard as the shooter, they would catch each arrow dead center. My damn targets just sit there and let arrows whiz right past them!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Picking a spot AND CONCENTRATING on that spot all the way through the shot......until the arrows strikes. I have, from time to time, had trouble with what I call peaking. On close in shots, I used to drop my bow arm out of the way so that I could see the arrow hit I guess!? But I have found that if my vision stays concentrated on my spot and my bow arm remains steady, my arrow hits there. It is simple to say, but it at times is very hard to do! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
So, that's what has been wrong...the targets! Hey, I need better targets! I knew it couldn't be me!   lol
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Mike.... ya gotta be careful about picking a spot and concentrating though.    

For the record...I think that once you get to the point where you shoot "by instinct"...you just do it, very little will change in your technique come crunch time....but boy is it tough to pick a spot,  a tiny spot.

I missed a nice buck a week ago,  from a tree stand...twenty yards, broadside, head turned away from me, looking toward the walker that spooked it up.  I looked up and said "thank you Lord", and proceeded to hit the tree just above him...arrow was sideways !   I couldn't believe it as he ran away.  

After mentally debasing myself, I figured I would try to hit the small stump that was just next to where he was standing, so I grabbed a blunt, looked at the stump, and   ahem.... noticed the small tree (branches, twigs etc)  I had to shoot thru to do what I did.  

Never....never...saw them when I was boring a hole in the deer's side.

Lesson learned.... ( I think)
ChuckC

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
I would have to agree that not picking a SMALL enough spot is the reason most miss. A close second might be overbowed shooters. At 3D shoots it's not unusual to see guys releasing 4 to 6 inches in front of their face.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
Great thoughts, keep them coming.
John

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
We all know you must pick a spot. Sometimes we don`t.

ANYTHING we do to help our confidence in turn helps our shooting. Anything we do to undermine our confidence hurts our shooting.

I believe for me, that if I have ANY thoughts of the possibility missing, I might as well not shoot so I won`t have to resharpen a head.

Positive thinking. Knowing that my arrows fly perfectly. Knowing that I cannot shoot two broadheads at the same small spot because of certain damage to arrows.

Keeping that creeping thought of a miss from being ANYWHERE in my head, is my key.

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
My biggest nemisis in the beginning was not bending at the waist when shooting from an elevated possition (tree stand) and always hitting high.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©