INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: My Fred Bear/Archery Collection  (Read 2326 times)

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
My Fred Bear/Archery Collection
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Hi everyone, I have this little archery collection that is still growing. So I thought I would show yall what I have so far...

from left to right,
A new 62" 50# @ 28" Pilgrim Longbow from Elk Ridge Archery.
Browning Mowhawk 54" 25# @ 26"
Browning Explorer II 62" 36#
1955 Bear Kodiak 60" 43#
1969 Bear Grizzly 56" 45#

by the way, the Kodiak has the limb tip overlays missing and I will problibly get new ones put on by BowDoc.
thanks for looking, enjoy!!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Fred Bear/Archery Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
And next is my Vintage Fred Bear catalogs(1970,1971,1973,1978,1985), ads, broadheads, cutmaster sharpener, two Archers Bibles written by Fred Bear, an original leather handle for a Bear Panda recurve, and some old Bear screw in broadhead adapters, and a patch.

again, thanks for looking! enjoy!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:39:00 AM »
I bet yall have'nt seen many 14 year old's who collect vintage archery stuff

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
Great! I'm still looking to get a Bear bow.
Somebody always snipes me at the last minute.  :bigsmyl:  

Thanks for sharing.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
Nice collection buddy,,
TGMM

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:54:00 AM »
thanks

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »
Nice collection,
i have been looking for old wing memorabilia. It's fun just to hunt the stuff down. There is guy by me that has a little archery shop and he has some really nice Wing memorabilia. I do have a 1954 field and stream magazine that has a cool Bear ad in it for  Bear glass powered bow the all new Kodiak II. I like to look at those old adds especially the prices.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »
Great collection  :thumbsup:

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
fresbear92, I have a brand new never used Bear bow quiver, its plastic, green and designed for a compound, you can have it if you want it. Steve.

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Funny, Fred killed many a trophy in his day with a long bow or recurve hunting from the ground all over the world and he did it without a 300 fps compound or Gortex or a gilley suit or SentLock or designer camo.  I think there is a lesson for us all right there.

fredbear92, Keep up your interest - you are off to a good start.  I got my first bow when I was about your age and started hunting deer about the same time.  Looking back, the respect I have today for the out of doors and the values I have are a direct result of my experiences then.  Learn everything you can and enjoy the experience.  It will serve you well the rest of your life.

Doublegun

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
I have one of those Fred Bear Archery catalogs, the one where he's shooting the recurve. I bought it for $1.50 at a book sale. Got home and opened the cover, and it was signed by Fred Bear!!! No date or anything, just his signature!!!
I also picked up a Ted Nugent story book and Chuck Adams archery digest at that book sale. Both were also signed, by the authors of course!!!
Talk about a diamond in the rough!!

Nice collection! Thanks for sharing!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
Very nice!! I can think of lots of worse things 14 year olds could be doing with their time and money. Good for you! I'll bet your parents are real proud of you. On the other hand, since you have been bitten by the "Archery Bug" so young, I suggest you plan on a very high paying career, or you'll never have anything but a huge, beautiful collection! LOL!! Don't ask me how I know, Ha, Ha!!!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
thanks yall

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Id make a comment about the pic of the fred bear catalog where he is shooting wheels. But after reading the story behind the picture and the fact that the picture is the only one of him shooting a compound because it is the only time he did..He put it down after the pic and hunted with his recurve..that makes the pic that much cooler...haha

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 02:46:00 AM »
ok I forgot to show a pic of my quiver so here it is

And here's the story about this bow. This was my second bow. (after leaving the white AIM Recurve) My uncle gave it to me because he had no use for it so of course...I took it. My Dad and I took it to a local archery shop called Van's Sporting Goods who (like most archery shops here in Mississippi) don't know hardly Anything about trad archery. We left it there for them to put a string on it. Guess what type material they use on their recurve strings. Fast Flight!!! As you know, those old bows aren't made for that kind of power. I mean really, this bow doesn't even have tip overlays. Note that I left the bow there With them. So anyway, I did not have this kind knowledge yet. I shot the bow for about 2 months before the string and the tip shot off when I was out shooting one day. The lower tip came clean off. I glued it back with gorilla glue and painted the area black so it would display nice.
here is the bow:

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Zachary
 Ill check tonight I have one or two year catalogs in the eighties that I have extras. If you dont have them I give you them. Ill Pm you what I have. I have all the catalogs from 1959 up to late eighties or early 90s. they are great to look at. You have a nice start on your collection. Watch garage sales My wife got me a compass kodiak for $25!
Dean

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Freddie
What you are collecting is what I used to be UP TO DATE equipment when I started bowhunting in 1957. Sure wish I had all that equipment now such as the tape on quiver, Kodiak Special bow and all the razorheads on the Bear arrows we went thru in those early years back in WV.
Nice collection .
Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
thanks

Offline cornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Zack,Great to see a younger guy seeking out our bowhunting history.Congrats and enjoy!If you would like some other year variations of the Bear heads, let me know by pm and I can send you some.I have been collecting broadheads,bows,quivers and anything else I don't need for over 15 yrs and am always willing to contribute to a new collector.Have fun!  Cornfed

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Zach
 I have 3 catalogs Ill mail you next week. One is the special one after Freds passing.
Dean

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©