INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Paint and tape residue removal  (Read 791 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Paint and tape residue removal
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
I picked up a few old bows and would like to get some paint and tape residue off of them.  What do you recommend ??  Also the white overlay has yellowed a bit.  How would I get that to look white again ?  Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paint and tape residue removal
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
I use charcoal lighter fluid or kerosine to clean the gunk off of bows, it is a milder solvent. The hardcorecore crap requires a stronger solvent like acetone. Care needs to be taken when using acetone since rubbing too hard will remove the finish of the bow. The yellowing of the tips and overlays can be a bit hard. Try some acetone (Be careful). Once you get the bows cleanbed up, put a good auto paste wax (like carnuba) on the bow. Good luck Daryl and let us know how it turns out.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »
I'll send a few pics of my finds once I get them cleaned up,  62 Kodiak, 69 kodiak Mag, Browning explorer I and a 67 Tiger Cat.  I have $125.00 in the whole lot, Pretty Lucky,  Thanks HT, Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Reformed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
Sounds as this won't work but it does baby wipes with the mild alcohle content works well and is safe to boot
Your tightest group begins in you quiver

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©