INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ouch! Dangit!  (Read 987 times)

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Ouch! Dangit!
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Hi guys, I'm sitting here a little scuffed up and worse for wear after having a dandy old Bear recurve blow up on me. It was a 1967 Super Kodiak 64" 52#. Yep, a black beauty. The lower limb turned loose at the fadeout at full draw. I was drawing the bow for exercise, and had anchored at my 29.5" draw and KAPOW! Not sure what went wrong, just thankful my eyes are ok. It really sucks looking at that beauty in pieces. I will post a pic or two later when it hurts less. I will be trying to figure out what went wrong. I may never know. Take care and I hope this never happens to you! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ouch! Dangit!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Sorry Ckruse. Thats a heartbreaker to lose a "family member" like that! It happens to a lot of us. I bought a 1957 kodiak last winter and strung it and pulled it back once and KABOOM, it broke into 3 pieces.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
If it was a 1967 superK all black no rosewood in the fadeouts like the 68s. Thats why they added the rosewood. They were coming apart. They are such a beautiful bow. That sucks.
dean

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
It was indeed a 1967.5 Super Kodiak. Not questioning what you said Dean, but thats the first time I've heard a concern about the structural integrity of this model year bow. I have always been led to believe the change in 68 and 69 were for cosmetic reasons only. In any case it does SUCK! But, I have to say with over a hundred old bows I've bought, sold, and handled through the last few years, this is the only one I have had this happen with. When I get a chance, I'm going to email or call Don Ward to get some further input. I would also like to hear from Rich Lopez, (Droptine 59) to get further insight. Thanks, CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
Sorry about your bow but I am glad to hear you came out of it with no serious injurys, worst being the heartache.
Harold

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Cameron, Years ago, I had the lower limb of a TD come apart much as yours did, just at eh fade. Keith Chastain tried to fix it for me, he felt confident he could, but the acid test was to hold at full draw for two hours.. Somewhere around an hour 45 she let loose.
Keith wouldn't take anything for his efforts, but he might try again.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Ken, the bow is now salvage. The lower limb delaminated and busted the maple lam in two when it did. I think this was a result of the bow turning loose at the fadeout. Thanks for the suggestion. CKruse

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »
Same as my TD, he darn near saved it. But if it's trash, send it my way.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
I heard from a couple Bear guys the all micarda handels like the 67 superK and the supermag 48inch  Came apart at the fadeouts. I have a friend who had the 48inch bow blow on him in the same spot. I was told the micarda fails at this point. I noticed after this model year the micarda handel bows had the wood added in this area. But I am not an expert at all. I was upset when that supermag let loose I wanted it and he wouldnt part with it.
Dean

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I have a '66 Super Mag 48 and have never had a problem with it. YET?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©