INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Another mystery bow  (Read 687 times)

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
Another mystery bow
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Since traditional archery knowledge seems to run amuck here see if you can help me with this one. Supposed to be a Maryland bowyer late 50's early 60's.

DK-374
71" 32#@28"
KILGORE

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another mystery bow
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
What are we doing here, playing stump the experts?  Well, you got me on this one.  I never heard of a KILGORE, but it looks like a very well made bow.

Asuming DK is his initials (D.Kilgore) and he is all the way up to 374, it indicates that he may have made a few bows.

Looking at the style of the bow, I would go more for early to mid '60's rather than late '50's.  It is obviously a target or tournament model being 71" and 32#.  Think about what other manufacturors bows looked like in the '50's vs the '60's.  If that bow is from te '50's, it was way ahead of it's time.  

I got a feeling that we need Rich to jump in on this one.  He is a Maryland boy and will probably have a betteer knowledge about the local boyers.

Nice Bow though!!
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
I might not know the bow, or the guy who made it, but I can sur nuf tell you the guy that will know.  I oughta get some points for that.

I nailed the period too.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread I will just piggyback on this one. I also have what I think is a Drake, no stickers or silk screens just a stamped # 602. My question is the bow has what appears to be snake skin overlays on the tips. Do you think they came on the bow orginally or added by someone at a later date? What year do you think the bow was made?

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©