INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1961 Kodiak (I think)  (Read 873 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
1961 Kodiak (I think)
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
I got this bow many years ago from a friend who bought it at the Bear factory in Grayling. In one photo, "Display" is stamped over the serial number. The quiver is one I picked up back in the 70s, and the arrows (7 Bear cedars with Razorheads/bleeders) are ones I found at another time. The bow is 55#, and I am thinking about hunting with it, although there are hairline cracks lengthwise on the limbs. I'm wondering if some of you Bear guys out there have any idea of the collectors value of this setup, although I have no plans on getting rid of it.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1961 Kodiak (I think)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
It's a 1961 for sure. It's worth what someone will pay for it. That can vary greatly depending on condition, etc. Yours is in apparently nice shape with beautiful wood. The display stamp detracts somewhat, but the stress lines are very common on the 1961. Most were star stamped as seconds or factory refinished with the serial numbers removed. It is one of the best shooting Kodiaks in a a nice hunting weight. Hang on to it. I think I can say nearly for certain it will be worth more next year than it is now! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
"although there are hairline cracks lengthwise on the limbs"

Don't worry about these hairline cracks.  They are stress cracks and are not uncommon for that era Bear bows.  Many also develope fine horizontal lines.  This is referredto as "hazing", and are also nothing to worry about.  

If the bow is shooting solid now, there is no reason it should not keep shooting solid.  

The '61 Kodiak is definitely a collectors bow, but as Cameron noted, the "display" reduces the value a bit.  But, if it is in good shape otherwise, it still may bring a good price.  The only way to know is to put it on the Auction site  we must not name and see.  If at least two guys really want it, the price wil lclimb.

I I were you, I would keep it. I value the sentiment of a bow, and yours is a keepsake from a friend.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Yep, it shoots great; smooth, no hand shock, quiet. I don't plan on getting rid of it. In fact, I wouldn't mind having a few more old Bears. Wish I still had my Grizzly that I bought about 1970.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Those 59-62 Kodiaks are some of the best-looking, best-shooting Bear bows that were made...IMO, and usually command the price of new custom bows made today.   :thumbsup:  

For some reason, the 60-61 are harder to find   :confused:  .  I have a 59 and a 62 and am always on the prowl for a 60-61 shooter.  

Yes, you have a dandy.  :archer:
Lon Scott

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
That is nice bubinga. I thought the 1961 and 1962 kodiaks were made of rosewood?

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
The catalog lists the 61 as "African Rosewood" which I think is also called Bubinga. The 62 is Brazilian Rosewood, which is much darker in most cases. The bows were made on the same or similar forms, but the glass and wood are distinctly different.

A less-seen version of the 61 is walnut with a purple heart I beam. There were variations on most years. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
From the few I have seen, the tip profile is different too.. The 61 is small and rounded much like the earlier ones. The 62 tends to be triangular and pointed.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
The 62 has more mass in the riser and grip area. I have had both, and I have to give the 62 a couple of more points because I like the gray glass.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©