INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear K-Mag Refinish-along w/pics  (Read 5922 times)

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear K-Mag Refinish-along w/pics
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
I just "won" this old bow on the auction site, and I have a few questions.

Alot of the finish is worn off the riser and the edges of the limbs, and I can't really afford to have it professionally re-finished. I'm good with wood and have done some finishing work on furniture I build, so I'm familiar with things of this sort. How do I proceed with this project.

Also the bow has gold lettering just below the grip, and it's like this;
2/M/2/R
52"
50#

What year is this bow? It doesn't seem to follow the "usual" way of serializing I've seen before.

Thanks for your expert help.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear K-Mag Refinish-along w/pics
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
A picture would help, but I did see a really ragged out 1962 K-Mag sell on there a week or so ago. Sorry to say it, but I was surprised it went as high as it did. If the glass is grey, the wood appears to be Brazilian rosewood, and the coin is pewter with maybe a little black paint hanging on, it's most likely a 1962. I know several have had luck with Minwax wipe on or spray poly. It all depends on what your intended use for the bow is. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I looked in completed auctions and that's the one I was remembering. It's a 62 for sure. If you do some searching around, you can find advice on refinishing. I hope it's a shooter!  :D  CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
I know I overpaid for it, but sometimes we do that for the things we want. It's got green glass, and I'm not sure on the coin, maybe pewter. I want to use it for 3-d and maybe an early season whitetail hunt. If it's not a shooter, I'll hang it on the wall to look at.
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Kenny, I didn't mean to bang on you at all. Sorry if I offended. The finish over the gray glass has probably yellowed to the point where it appears green. I'm certain under that dead finish is "bark gray" glass.  The yellowing is very common of this model. They do have some of the most beautiful Brazilian rosewood, and the risers were done in both I beam and one-piece construction. I really like the narrow throated grip on the 61-62 K-Mags. Good luck, CKruse

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
No offense taken whatsoever. Thanks for all the help. Yep, you are correct, the finish on the glass has yellowed to where it looks green. I like it even more now. Some of the Rosewood still looks good, so I'll be excited to see what the whole thing looks like sanded and refinished.

How do I get the yellowed old finish off the glass?
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
If thats the 62 maggie off peebay,it may be an uncut diamond is all.It did look like she could use a little nip & tuck here and there.But those 1962's are by far one of the best of the best for my money.The Mag and the Kodiak both shoot great.And the gray ??? fiberglass with the dark brazilian rosewood risers look just super.But if I were going to do the home restoration on it.I would for sure try and get as much of the original finish off as possible.Like Cam mentioned that stuff is really yellowed over the years (no UV blocker) and will make almost a green tone to the gray glass.The original finish has also oxidizied on the rosewood and makeing it look very light in color compaired to actuly fresh cut or sanded rosewood.Once you put new finish on old rose it comes back even better looking then before.I would most likely sand all of the old finish off with some 150 grit sand paper by hand and then finish up with 220-250.You can sand alot on the riser wood but not on the fiberglass and especialy NOT on the edges of the limbs.Just sand enough to remove the old finish starting near the riser and working toward the limb tips.Once you got the flats clean,now just gently sand the edges to remove the old finish.You will see and hear the difference once you have the old finish off.The fiberglass itself is very smooth once sanded.It's like glass.But for sure the more of the old finish you can get off the better the new job will look.Now wait a minute those darn original silk screens are right in the middle of what otherwise looks like a beautiful job huh??? Al has replacements for those mags.No they are not those funky water slide decals,but dry transfers printed the same as the original silk screens.PM me and I will set ya up with Alan.Pending on how nice of job ya want.I would replace them.....but thats up to you and adds to the cost.OK now you got the whole bow striped clean of the original finish...New finish can be done several ways.One you can buy a rattle can of those spray on type poly's..but it's super thin and ai'nt to tough.. minwax.. But for about 6.00 you can buy a bottle of Birchwood & Casey Gun Stock Tru Oil.It works great on wood and fiberglass and can be applied with an old rag or even your bare hand.You can put on another coat of finish every day until you get the level of finish you want.Should come out looken sweet.But first and formost,you will want to remove the coin to avoid damage while sanding around it.I take a flat head bolt,just a bit smaller in diameter then the coin??? Warm the bolt up to not red hot but to hot to touch.Set the warm bolt on the coin for about 2-3 minutes.Then stick a stick of hot melt onto the coin and let it harden up makeing sure the hot melt don't melt over onto the wood at all (it will pull some wood off)and no need to heat the hot melt as the coin is hot from the bolt heat.As the coin cools 20 minutes or more.Just give the hot melt a pull and the coin will be stuck to the hot melt (all bear coins were glued in with hot melt originaly and sometimes the heat from the bolt will make them pop right out).Now warm the coin up until it slips into a paper towel,wipe off the hot melt while to coin is still warm.Bam your set...let me know and I will tell ya how to put her back together later...  Ya I know I drug that one out..I gotta lay off the coffee .. bowdoc

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
This site is awesome!  Here we have one of the best giving us step by step instructions.

You the man Don!
Lon Scott

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
That was real generous sharing of knowledge there BD.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Thanks guy's I'am truly humbled by your kind words.....I love the pic Cam loaded of the 1962 mag... Now thats a bow ........ bd

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Dang, Christmas is still goin on. Thank You Sir. I spent a couple days with Doc Springer last summer at ETAR, and he was tellin me about the time you all had in Qubec, bear hunting. He was tellin me about The Bow Doc, and how gooda fella he was. Now I get to experience the goodness first hand. I'm startin on it tonight!!

Thanks BD!
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
The coin is out. Sanding has begun!
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
How goes the battle???????? bd

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
Well, I got started sanding last night, and so far so good. The youngun had soccer this mornin and my wife's workin, so after Dad duty, I'll get goin again. Give a report and pics later.
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
BD, now I know why you like doin this stuff. To take what I started out with, and just part way through the sanding process, I can already see a beautiful bow under all that yellowed finish. The Rosewood riser is an I-beam type, and not real figured, but even the straight grain is sweeeeeeeet. I'm taking pics of the progress,but don't have time to post yet. Gotta get back to sandin.

Later!
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
So here's what I started with;

Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
After a little elbow grease and sand paper;

In the last pic you can see the gray glass under that nasty yellow/green finish.

I'm gettin excited to see it under the new finish. I still have alot of work to do. The guys that do this professionally earn their money!
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
Your doing fine.Keep up the good work......You could if you are careful use a small viberating palm sander only on the riser.That would really help get the old finish out of the wood pours.Then before you start the new finish..blow the wood as clean as you can with an air compresser.Talk soon..bd

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Rough sanding is about complete. Tomorrow I start the finish sanding. The Rosewood riser is gonna look outstanding!! Can't wait to get er done. PMing you Doc about Al's decals and a couple other things.
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
C'MON your not done yet? I wanna see it done dang nabit! Hey whats the knife for? LOL Looking great buddy .  :thumbsup:  ><>
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©