INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Metal and wood risers  (Read 762 times)

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
Metal and wood risers
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
I saw somewhere on the forum discussion about metal used in a wood riser? Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this but I wonder how much it was actually attempted in the past. I have an old early 70's takedown which is basically a target bow but the shorter hunting bow limbs I have also fit in it. Anyway, this riser has two strips of aluminum sandwiched between the laminations running from top to bottom of the riser. I assume it is to strengthen the riser at the narrow grip/pressure point area.

The photos below are not great but have a look. The second photo clearly shows the strip at the riser window cutout.

http://brian.ckupris.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=476&g2_serialNumber=2

http://brian.ckupris.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=480&g2_serialNumber=2
Brian Kupris

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Metal and wood risers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
They used it in the risers to add stringth and weight in some cases.I've seen several older models ie 1950's - to the late 1960's target and hunting bows that used it.Mostly not in production bows.There was also a company about 4-6 years ago using aluminum in the risers of thier long bows.It kinda added a neat looking trim to the bow as well.But I kinda think everyone found out what all the old guy's already tried.It don't glue up to good.Bear Archery used it in thier bow laminations about 1951?? did not work then eather.But I am sure plenty of them old models are still in working order.bd

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »
Thanks for that info bowdoc, very interesting..
Brian Kupris

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Jack Howard put metal in some of his risers to stiffen them also.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©