INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear ID help  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear ID help
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Down in New Mexico for a couple of months and wife and I hit the yard sale jackpot this morning. $60.00 got me, Canadian made snowshoes, two Bear bow arrow quivers, a smallbrown screw on and the large green quiver with the wire  that loops over the limbs, one Howard Hill back quiver made of very heavy leather and one elk antler drop.

Anyway the  Bear appears to be a factory cammo bow, serial number 12CH10, 52", 35# at 29" has a place near the handle for the small brown quiver to screw onto. Gold button on the side. Can anyone tell me the year of the bow  and if Bear factory cammoed their bows.
Thanks for any help

Jon stewart

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear ID help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Oh yea I forgot about a very heavy leather Howard Hill back quiver.  Any info on that would be nice.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
1961-1963 mag  pics ?? I've seem Bear factory camo on bows form a 1955 Kodiak up until the 70's Super K's.Got any pics of the bow?  bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
BEAR WOULD CAMO BLEMISHED BOWS AND SELL THEM FOR $10.00 MORE THAN REGULAR RETAIL.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
I agree with bowdoc, a pre 64 kodiak mag based on the length and serial number.

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
In the Bear catalogs it says a bow can be factory camoed for $5.00 extra. You can usually tell the factory camoed bows as the silk screens are over the camo.
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
Oh ya lets not get into that whats under the camo on any Bear bows....I rarely ever share any of my well hidden notes..but for our bud's on the gang what the heck huh??Man I gotta tell ya..Bear would get rid of some butt ugly light blue or faded white fiberglass by building all 1961 Grizzly using it.And then camo-ing all of them.I've owned 3 and worked on at least 3...1961 FC Grizzlys that have clear fiberglass on them.Yes it's true,bowyers used up all the left over fiberglass from the Crystal light ie Kodiak Deluxe and Special Deluxe's to build some of the 1961 Grizzlys and then camo-ed them heavy with lead base army surplus camo paint...hid the stress cracks!!!!! Pretty cool huh??? Good way to get rid of your junk....camo it............Little breakfast triva for you guy's.bd

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
What the heck for ten bucks if it don't shoot I'll cut the limbs off and screw the handle to the outhouse.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
I think with the lighter draw weight that one should be fine.You may want to look it over before stringing her up.But those are great shooting bows.That Hill back quiver is a good one.The early models are somewhat collectable..any pics of the quiver??? bd

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Can't hardly turn this computer on let alone  attach a photo.  Its an older quiver, very thick and heavy leather, about 8 inches wide and 3 inches thick with a Howard Hill signature on the breast strap.  What I missed by 5 seconds was  a tackle box full of brand new old Bear razor heads still in the bubble pack and a lot of other new assorted old archery gear.  some guy picked it up for a buddy.  This guy didn't shoot a bow.

As far as the bow goes I strung it up and the string lays down straight in the grooves, the limbs are straight and it draws nice.  I will shoot it awhile before turning it over to one of the grandkids.
Thanks
Jon

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I'am the same way with the pics,but from your disription and given the age of the other items.That may very well be one sold by the man himself...HH in the late 50's early 60.Shoot some of those broadheads are pretty collectable too.bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©