INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 62 grizzly??  (Read 1881 times)

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
62 grizzly??
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
Gota Bear grizzly ser# FEO46 55# 62" Bow is in very nice cond. Shoot awesome. Tips and limbs are great really the whole bow is a very very nice cond. Now is it a 62 Grizzly? It does need a new strike plate  and rug anyone know where I can get one? thanks<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 62 grizzly??
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
1962 Grizzlys were 62" bows. 61's were 62" bows also, but the catalog shows them all to be camoflage. And the 63's were the dogleg. So, by process of elimination I believe it most likely is a 1962. But, I thought the serial number would have started with a 2.
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Here's a couple of pics.<><  

TGMM

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Thats a 1959 or 1960 in the pics...bow

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Frank;

That's a 1960 for sure.  The originals had feather rests and a '59 strike plate.  You can get these from 3-Rivers.

I had one I traded away in another moment of insanity, but those really are sweet shooting bows.  Greatly underated as it shoots just as quick and as smooth as the 1960 Kodiak.

Dave

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Yup, a '60 (assuming that's not the copper coin), and my absolute favorite Bear of all time (the '59 Kodiak be damned!  :D )
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Frank, is that the one you'r wanting me to babysit for you for awhile?
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Hey doc can tell by the serial #? It has two different colors of glass on the limbs. Looks like pea green and kinda orange on the other side. This did have a large leather strike plate at one time. You can see the outline from glue residue. the coin looks silver maybe aluminum? <><<><

TGMM

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
No kenny that would be my 65 Kodiak.<><

TGMM

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
The only difference in a 1959 Bear Grizzly and a 1960 Bear Grizzly is,1959 had black and white paper tip overlays and the 1960 Bear Grizzly had black and white fiberglass tip overlays,Thats the only diff.both bows were the same and came with the large strikeplate and feather rest,same looking as the Kodiak.Load up a couple good pics of the tips and we will get her figured out......bd

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Here are some pics of the tips.<><        

TGMM

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
bd, I thought the 59's had the copper medallion and the most of the 60's had the Aluminum?
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I think I have a feather rest but still gotta find a leather strike plate with the lines in it . Still not sure what the tips are made of?<><

TGMM

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
thats a 1959 Bear Grizzly,black and white paper tip overlays....The copper coin was only in the Kodiaks,never in the griz.(not to say someone did not put copper in a grizzly after the fact) the same silver coin both year grizzly's.I have the same year in my collection 46# and those are great shooting bows.Smooth draw,not to fast,but really about the quitest bow you will ever shoot.....Keep me posted,bd

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Doc you just made my year! I was born in 59 and like just about everyone else who loves vintage bows always dreamed about owning one made in the year they are born. Now Can i shoot it with them tips? I just made a swap for some woodies( can't shoot metal or carbon from a vintage bow just ain't right) Told them make the kinda heavy not to put to much stress on the bow. This is a 59 it's in awesome shape. Now leather strike plate anyone know where I can get one? Doc you the man.And you may be seeing this bow someday soon. Does this bow have a value maybe I shouldn't shoot it? Not to savvy on this><>

TGMM

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
I looked at the pics but the string is in the way,so would you should do is down string her.Then look at the overlays right where the string presure rides.If you see any cracks which are pretty normal on bows build before 1960.I would add a drop or two of super glue right into the crack.that will normaly fix the problem,thought 2,fiberglass tip overlays.But once the tips are solid eather way,new or super glued.She live's again for another 49 years.....I love the one I got,stick with the woodies.One of these days before hunting season,you should pick up half dozen 1959 Bear razor heads to go along on a hunt with you and your new friend...............I should have the matirals for new strke plates next week.bowdoc

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
thanks B'doc just looked and seen no cracks. Let me know when ya get them sides plates I buy one from ya. I have some older bear razors now not sure what year they where made? Sure wish I would have kept all the old archey stuff I had growing up in the 60s and early 70s. Never should have gotten sucked into compound shooting in 78!   :knothead:      :mad:      :banghead:   <><

TGMM

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
That's so cool Frank. Eventually I want to get either a '61 Grizzly or K-Mag to hunt with too.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
I know Kenny it';s really cool looking at a bow that was made the year you are born. This bow is just awesome to look at.<><

TGMM

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks bd, that cleared up that question for me!

Frank, I'm either hunting with a '59 Grizz or a '59 Kodiak Special this season.  Those bows are made to be SHOT!!  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©