INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear's Brown on Kodiak  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Bowbent

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear's Brown on Kodiak
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
What bow did Fred use to take that brownie off the beach on Kodiak while using that boulder for cover ? Model poundage and lenght ?
 I still get a bang out watchin that video!!
 Just curious !! Thanks for any replies .

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear's Brown on Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
I believe it was a 65# Super Kodiak...60" long.
Lon Scott

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
According to Fred Bear's Field Notes that Bear was taken in 1962.  So I'm guessing he used a 1962 Kodiak.  I've read several times his favorite hunting weight was 65# so I'd agree with Blackhawk with poundage and bow length.  Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
The date on the bottom of the pictures in my shop also says 1962,but the bow don't look 1962 ish,more 1959 1960 profile....but kinda hard to say from the faded pics...Generly Fred shot 65# @ 28"..But never the less,your right.That was one of the best series of archery pic ever taken.Brass balls Fred!!!!!!!! bd

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Yeah...silly me...could not have been a Super K since they did not come out until 1967.  So far we can agree it was a Kodiak.
Lon Scott

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Fred shot his world record Kodiak in 1960, it scored 28 0/16". It is the bear seen laying on its back on the rocking beach on the edge of the alders at the end of the video "Kodiak Country". The only fim footage of that bear was acquired after the kill.  The video footage of Fred and Ed shooting the brownie from behind on a rock was filmed in 1962 when Fred returned to Alaska to get additional film footage of him shooting a brownie. That bear scored 27 1/16".
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Bowbent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Still would like to know for sure model and year. Fred did shoot 65# on most everything and I bet thats what he used there also.
 DT, I know he did usually shot the newest bows every year to promote.Was just wondering if maybe he had a favorite and used it a couple of years instead of the lasted model.
 Don't have access to my libray at the moment its in the North country .

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
TTT for some discussion.

Another thread about dating quivers reminded me of this old thread.  

Any new thoughts?

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I read somewhere he also used a 67# bow, I'll have to try and find that to see when & what.
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
I know where the riser of that 1962 Kodiak is.The bow was broken after the fact and the limbs were cut off at the fade outs.I had a chance to purchase the riser several years ago.However at that time the price was well out of my reach.I've since made liitle effert to get the riser.Maybe as things pick up a bit I may still be able to make the purchase at some point.It is not your normal 1962 riser look we all used to seeing.The riser is trimmed all the way to the fade outs with a different wood then brazilian rosewood...bowdoc

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Doc - The photograph of Fred at full draw shows the sight window of the bow as being about the length of a 1962 Kodiak, much longer than the standard 1959 Kodiak Sight Window for a 60" bow, see lower left photograph.

The still of the action sequence is taken from the movie frames, so they lack the clarity of Fred's high quality still photographs.

When you get the remains of Fred's 62, pack it up and send it to me.
I will put it in a display with the original packet of Fred's photographs that he gave to Nels Grumely...       :goldtooth:      

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Doc

If ya get the riser, could you feasibly mount some Bear Take Down clamps on it and resurect it for a hunt for it's 50th birthday about 3 yrs from now.

Go to Alaska...to the same beach...relive Fred's feat with it...take a film crew along.

"The Adventures of BowDoc and the Resurected Kodiak"  Sounds like a nomination for a Golden Globe to me.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
I'd watch it.  :thumbsup:  

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
Yes I would love to do that sometime Jack.I actually would like to have the riser relimbed into a 1962-ish looking bow.However I can only shoot around 40# lefthanded and I'am not certin Ed will be along to back me up should things go arey.
Yes I do think its more 1962 ish.The riser from Fred's 1962 was at Mal and Roselands place until when Mal passed away several years ago.Another family memeber has it now.It came from the same barrel as the happy scrounger same trip same time.As soon as you see the riser you know its not the normal run of the mill Bear bow.StCharles mentioned something about the skiff being drug over Fred's bow and it got broken ???? It's been sometime since I handled the riser but as I recall its marked 65#...bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
Holy crap Jack you may have something there.I already got the hat...bowdoc

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Bowdoc - I had a chance to see some of Fred Bears personal bows at the new Bass Pro Shops museum in Springfield, MO. While I could definetly see a resemblance to production bows offered to the public, his were a bit different and obviously personalized for him. What a treasure it would be to get one he actually owned! Good luck, I hope you get it.
-Joe-

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Yes Joe I kicked my own butt may times for passing on that one.bowdoc

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Bowdoc - We have all kicked our butts for letting something get away from us we now wish we had. Oh well, sometimes it makes life more interesting.
-Joe-

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Doc, you dont need no stinking back up!!!!

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
One thing about not getting the items always keeps one looking for something better.
Trap your right my back up would have to use bow & arrow same as me.I would rather he be a somewhat large man who can not run fast.You know where this is headed.bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©