INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Just bought a new Kodiak Magnum any info would help!  (Read 1862 times)

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just bought a new Kodiak Magnum any info would help!
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well I just bought a new kodiak magnum. (Thanks Kenny for letting me shoot yours. See what happens       :rolleyes:     )  It is in some rough shape. From what I have read I'm guessing it was made in the 70's but I'm not sure exactly when. It is 51# and is 52" AMO

If anyone can give me any more info on it that would be appreciated. Such as what's the best way to fill in the drill holes? What's the string length? Brace height? I only paid $70 for it and thought it'd be a fun project. Eventually it will be going to my hunting buddy for his birthday.

"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just bought a new Kodiak Magnum any info would help!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
70 bones is a great price for a shooter. That is a bear from the 70s I believe. BowDoc will be able to tell ya what your going to have to do to fill them holes. Great bow and buy. Congrats.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
That's too cool TJ! Kevin is gonna love that thing. I had to almost pry mine out of his hands last time...lol...

I'm sure bowdoc will be along tomorrow with some words of wisdom for you, as well as others on here.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »
I'd say about a 1973 to 1975. In 1976 they had stained futurewood overlays.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
1973-1975 and I will guess 1975 for reasons I am not telling,I gotta keep my edge a little..but pretty certin that one is a 1975....I love those hole,looks like the guy good mad and took it out on his bow......just kidding. Got a fiberglass boat repair store near you???????????? bowdoc

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Thanks bowdoc we'll go with 1975. I have a large lake near here so there's probably one around. Whatcha thinking?
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I was thinking of fixing those holes first.Go down to the boat supply store.Get a fiberglass repair kit,which I might mention comes with a color matching chart....about any color and then some....I actuly use the fiberglass boat repair color kit and smooth-on epoxy from 3r's,rather then the resin they supply.But thier color match works great with smooth-on.You will want to clean up the holes first,by sanding them.Blow the holes clean.Then plug them just below the surface of the fiberglass with a wooden plug..a wooden match stick will work fine.But make sure it's a little below the surface..now one or two drops of super glue into the hole and let that dry about 1 hr.that will seal up around the match stick..but more-so glue all those little tiny fractures around the hole.But your plus is still below the surface about the thickness of a penny... Now cap the plugged hole with your color matched smooth-on.Let that dry for 24 hours,sand it smooth...I should add you may want to fool around with the color match and epoxy first to see what you come up with...keep me posted,bowdoc

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
The bow will be here sometime this week. I'll try to get that done this weekend. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Hey W/ the tips you give us Bowdoc, go ahead keep your edge. This one is great,so is that bow, TJ (try to get a small bear stabilizer, could not believe how well it shots w/ it). I have Tamerlane that I guess the 1st owner could not afford matching screws different sizes and lengths and tore up the phenolic putting them in.So the fiberglass boat repair tip came at a perfect time.
 Thanks again  Kurt Bel5

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Any time guy's....happy to help.TJ whats the actul weight writen under the strike plate?? bowdoc

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
I should be getting the bow tomorrow. I'll let you know then

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Its marked with a 50x. I make the first guess at 52#. Any other guesses?

Your other questions being on string length and brace height. Its AMO 52 so it needs a 48" string. Brace should be around 7.75"
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Re-read the original YEEhawBAY listing for this one. The seller said he had measured it below 50 and more like 47 lbs. Hope he had a bad scale or a short draw - this bow will clean up to be a beaut and I bet you get a Kmag for yourself in the near future.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Yeah I saw where he said he thought it was pulling 49#

I got the bow this afternoon and frankly I don't see how I'm gonna be able to give it up. The pics don't do it justice. The finish is great on it. All I have to do it fix the holes and put on a new rest and side plate and she's almost like new.

I have to keep telling myself this one isn't for me. But I do see one in my future pretty soon. They are sweet shooting bows! I'll post a pic later on after I get the new rest and side plate on.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Here's some pics of it after I did the rug and side plate. I didn't see anything written under either of the old ones.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
If you wanna come by any time to get that string is fine by me. Just call. I may be workin Sat. but be home Sun afternoon.
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny. I will be busy this weekend and out of town next weekend but after that sounds good lol. I have a string that came with it I'll use until then. I shot it a lot tonight and it shot great. I just need some silencers for it. Maybe when I come over we can do that with the beaver hide.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

You better make sure Kevin's sittin down when you give it to him. I'd love to see his face when you do!
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
There should have been a number written under the strike plate.
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
The strike plate is the same as the side plate right?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©