3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfnocks for a Beginner  (Read 527 times)

Offline ib4elk

• Trad Bowhunter
Selfnocks for a Beginner
« on: December 01, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
I am going to make up another dozen arrows and want to put self nocks on them.  I have the Nifty Nocker which seems to work pretty well but was wondering if you really need to add the hard wood piece in first?  I use Ash shafts which are pretty hard to begin with so if I were to cut the nock against the grain, is adding the extra peice of wood first required?  I don't want to make them up and then find that they split?  Any help is appreciated.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfnocks for a Beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
I use a dremel or hacksaw and sandpaper. You don't need to add any wood.  If you are worried they might split, just do a thread wrap at the bottom of the nock.  Adds a little class to the arrow too.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
I make self nocks on my cedar arrows, after I cut the nock. I wrap it with dental floss, put a little 3 minute epoxy over the floss. After the epoxy dries add a little paint. I havent had a problem with one spliting yet. Good luck.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
I use the nifty knocker and love it.. I just cut the nocks.... If I tapered them down to 5/16th I would use them or wrap them... I'm starting to put wraps on the nocks just for show.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
Karl , if you are self nocking a hardwood shaft there is no reason other than looks to install the hardwood insert.
Also you cant cut the nock across the grain on an arrow shaft but rather with the grain or perpindicular to the grain.
The reason you use the insert is for softer wood. The insert grain is cut so that when you install insert, the grain of the insert runs from one side of shaft to the other . This way the string is cross grain from the insert and it will not split the grain of the shaft.

Offline ib4elk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks everyone - you definitely answered the questions I had.  I will let you know how they come out.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Will the nifty nocker,work on a 5/16 shaft?Last time i looked,it said it had Collets for no smaller than 11/32nd.Will it still work for 5/16?
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
11/32 is the smallest... U can use a taper after you do the nocks to get the shaft down to 5/16...

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
hey man ya dont have to put any hardwood in at all all i use is super glue on and around the nock and then wrap sinew around that and put epoxy on that and smooth it out works awesome and i have never had one split yet.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Actually guys we are making a 5/16" collet now for the Nifty Nocker tool, people asked enough to start producing it. For those that have the tool you can just purchase the collet, for those purchasing in the future , it will come in the kit. We are working on them now , should be available very soon.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Cool!!!!!!!
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline ib4elk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Ok, in case someone else reads this, I got all the nocks cut and then tried using the gasket laquer system - didn't seem to work too well.  Any ideas on this?  
The only way I got it to work was by folding up a paper towel, dipping the arrow, nock first through the gasket and then when the nock is full of sealer, running the folded paper towel through the nock to "wipe" all the sealer out of the nock - actually just leaving a very thin film at best.  I assume it is best to use a different type of sealer?  Any help on this would be appreciated.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
I use gl on self-nocks all the time.  If you let it cure long enough after dipping is done it's soft enough to trim out with a craft knife but not so hard that it won't come out.  Too soon and it's a gooey mess, too long and it's a real bugger to get out.  After the remainder cures out it's a simple matter to go in with my needle files and clean it up for the ideal string fit.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©