INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: refinishing question ( Proper Pen?? )  (Read 1290 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
refinishing question ( Proper Pen?? )
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
I'm in the process of refinishing a 62" Grizzly and was wondering what kind of pen it takes to put the serial number and other specs back on.  I've tried pens from craft/art stores but when I apply finish on top they smear.  I'm apparently buying the wrong ones.

I'll be using black on this bow but also have a project that calls for gold lettering.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: refinishing question ( Proper Pen?? )
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I use Gold, FW Acrylic Artists Ink (water soluble) with a calligraphy pen (standard quill handle and a nib), the nib reads; Hunt Globe Bowl Point # 513EF. I got the stuff at a local art store.

For Black, I use the same setup with Black India Ink.

Al (Als Decals)

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Oh ..... Bjorn, thanks for putting me on the Ink. It's the best I've found.

Al (Als Decals)

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Dary; recommend you post a couple of pics showing the riser, limb and decal to positively ID the decal and ink required.

Al (Als Decals)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Hi Al,

We spoke on email several weeks ago and again this morning.  We decided to go with the light yellow grizzly decals.

My email is [email protected]

I'm the same Daryl you've received emails from concerning decals for this bow.  Sorry but the decals have been reduced to dust.  I would post pics but the bow has a coat of finish on it at the moment and the lighting in that room is not great.  

Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Yup, I remember you well d d. No problem on the decals, just thought if you had any doubts about its birthday, we could get it sorted out right here.

Al (Als Decals)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Sounds like a '60 but I'll post a few pics when I get a little further along so you guys can tell me what I have for sure.  That will give you guys the opportunity to critique my work.  Thanks again for your help with the pen types.  Daryl

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
"1962 was all rosewood with mint green glass"

Nope, try again.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
Look for this: Edding 780 Paint Marker Pen - Extra Fine x 1 Gold

"Superior Quality Marker Pens containing Metallic Paint! Great for use on Metal, Rubber and some Plastics - Also great for Crafts!

They show up particulary well on dark surfaces and with the extra fine nib, you can use them, more  or less, like a normal pen!"

Pilot makes these metallic fine point pens too.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
here's a couple of pics. The caligraphy pen worked great. Thanks Guys. Daryl
  MG]

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Thats a nice one.I have two of the same 46 and 55 pounds,both are great shooting bows.They are probley one of the quitest shooting bows ever built..oh yeah she's a 1959...paper tip overlays..bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
really Bowdoc?? the coin is aluminum and  the tips didnt look the same to me as the ones recently posted by sticshooter.  His had 4 or 5 layers in the tips.  

I'm not challemging your expertise, I just find dating these 62 inch Grizzlies confusing.    

I agree with you sir, it is a great shooter and very quiet,  I have a 46# and 42# but would love to have one at about 52#.  My 42# is all original and in mint condition.  If the right trade offer came along I'd give it up for one the right weight.

Thanks, Daryl

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
Trap the coins were kept in a can along the where the workers were and when the can was empty and things got hectic, they did not always reach for the right coins.
The tips are the best dating device. People also poopoo the serial numbers; well for several years I collected as many numbers as I could find; and I had 9 1959 Grizzlies along with 2 1960s of my own.
Anyway letters up to 'FH' were 1959's.
'FK' and later were 1960's.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »
okay I'm getting close to the final coat of tru-oil. What kind of applicator works best.  Any tips you're willing to share??

Daryl

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
Give one on those spounge brushs a try,you can actuly apply all the coats with the spounge brush,but you will want to keep each coat as thin as possible.Here the 55#er came walking in my shop last weekend,the one in the front .bow

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Hi Trap
Is that a verticle crack in the riser? If it is, that might be under a lot of stress when flexed.Wear some glasses.
           Kurt

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
I got these tips from Jay St. Charles on applying Tru-Oil: Use paper towel-the roll with the smaller pieces-about 6x11". Put a single drop of water on the paper towel first, keep the coats thin and double the between coat dry time.
And one of my own: don't sand or steel wool for the first 6 coats.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Here's a couple pics of the old bow after finishing touches were put on it.  The paper towel method worked better than anything I tried.  Thanks for your help guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©