INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Repair Kodiak Magnum?  (Read 583 times)

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
Repair Kodiak Magnum?
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
I have a green Kodiak Magnum that I think was made in the 70's. Right where the stabilizer insert is installed, the overlay laminations are cracked just about dead center through the hole. Also the overlays down to the wood level are lifted up about 2" above the insert and about an 1" below the insert. When strung the space between fiberglass and wood becomes noticeably wider. About the thickness of 6-7 pieces of paper.

Everything else is just about perfect on the bow. Is it possible to restore it back to shooting condition? If so what approach/methods do you recommend?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Repair Kodiak Magnum?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Steve those cracks at the stabilizer bushing are pretty common,but as for the overlay lifting..I would get the repaired asap....Hey dropper without wanting to sound like some wise ars or hijacking your thread....I generly heat the bolt up and then screw it into the bushing.They were all glued in with hot melt.I actuly use an alanhead..Once the bolt is heated on the alan-wrench you can screw it right in(not red hot eather).Then when the bolt bottoms out just keep screwing in and pulling up at the same time (of cousre with the bow in a vise).The hot bushing will come right out....Then when I plug the holes now.Rather then all epoxy.I use a wood dowel and then super glue it into place just below the fiberglass surface..Then you only need a little epoxy over that (pending you want to remove it forever)..One reason for the wooden plug is in the early days some shops (actuly most shops)used bar soap or wax to lube the screws so they would not split the wood or fiberglass...That bar soap or wax will make air bubble (no joke) in the epoxy and it's heck to seal.So the wooden plug just about eliminates those bubbles....Hopeing that will help..bowdochelp.........bowdoc

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Repair Kodiak Magnum?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the wood plug idea Bowdoc.

Man, I'm getting kind of excited that I might be able to use this bow. My brother got it in some kind of hornswaggle trade in a gunshop in Livermore, CA when we were still young men. Then I traded him something for it. It seems that crack was always there. But I'm not sure now.

At lunchtime I'm going to go out and buy a propane torch and give it try in a day or two. I'll report back with before and after pics.

Thanks,
Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©