3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Replacing the old Bear razorheads  (Read 351 times)

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
Replacing the old Bear razorheads
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Been shooting 70's era screw-in stainless Razorheads for years.  Love'em.  Love the way they fly, kill and most of all the way they sharpen with a file.  I believe they are softer than most of the heads available today which may be why they are so easy to sharpen with a file.

I've used up (bent, broke or lost) my supply so now I need something new.  The most important criteria is the ability to file sharpen and, gotta be a 2 blade.  Any recommendations?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Replacing the old Bear razorheads
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
What about the new bear razorheads. I have the 145 grain model, and  they fly great. I also had 125 Magnus Stingers, and  they flew great too. Bears were easier to sharpen though.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Magnus 140 grain 2 blade screw ins.  Strong, high quality and priced right.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Shop around, I have seen the Bears you speak of for sale. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Zwickey, and Magnus heads have steel that agrees with file sharpening. They are not stainless.
Ribteks also are easy to get sharp with a file, but I don`t think they can be bought ready to screw in, you have to get the adapters to glue in them. (which is no big deal)

These three are ones I have used myself. I would use any of them again, but prefer Zwickeys.

As Shawn said, you may be able to find some more of the Bear heads to get by a while longer.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
I think the bear super razorheads that you are refering to are still available. If not, you could easily get some used ones from someone here at TG. Just post a topic asking for them.

Satalite is now making/marketing a "Razorhead" that is similar to the old bears. I have some and they sharpen easy but I haven't shot them yet. I expect that they will fly great, like most two blade heads do.

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
There's at least 3 dozen of the old green Razorheads for sale on "the big auction site" right now.  Just pick up some short adapters and you'll be in business.  I always liked the old carbon steel Razorheads better than the SS version.

Howattman
Resident Howattologist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©