3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are You A "Stump" Hunter?...And Why?...  (Read 8401 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Are You A "Stump" Hunter?...And Why?...
« on: December 23, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
A chapter in Fred Andersons book "The Traditional Way" gets into stump shooting in a most inspiring form. Although entitled "Alone", this form of archery practice can and is used by small groups of people everywhere. I have spent many hours alone killing leaves, branches, weed-puffs etc...etc...Such is the call to do so, takes me from my home in NYC to a 125 mile drive up into Greene County where I have a second home and many acres to roam.

So...My question stands...Are you a Stump Hunter? How far will you go to have fun and why?

>>-----> mike <-----<<  :wavey:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are You A "Stump" Hunter?...And Why?...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »
I love to Hunt.., stumps included. LOL Luckily I don't have to travel to shoot them. If I did I would drive as far as you do or farther to do so. The why? is easy, Cause I love it.  :bigsmyl:    :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »
Yes sir---I am.   Just got home 45 min. ago---picked up my nephew this AM, and we drove about 40 min to a piece of BLM land along the Sacramento River.  Probably walked about 3 miles---but I must qualify "stump"----down here in the lowlands, most stumps are from valley oaks, which rot slowly and stay hard----shooting one is usually the equivalent of burning a $10 bill.  Instead, we find patches of grass in the occasional limited areas of rock free dirt in this volcanic landscape, and shoot at small branches or distinctive leaves, whatever.  I usually glass the surrounding surface, to avoid shooting rocks---not always successful, but it does decrease the incidence of broken shaft suprises.  
Sometimes we travel up higher, to the foothills or mountains to the east or west, where the conifers grow---there were really can shoot stumps.
Why do I do it?  Fun, exercise, practice that simulates hunting situations,  and any excuse to get out of the flatlands into the country in which I feel most comfortable.

Today, I could have legally hunted quail, squirrels, rabbits, even a pig if I had bought a tag for such,  but we came home with only some trash that slobs had left and big grins.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
I just went out today with my son. I'm blessed because all i have to do is walk out the back door and were shooting. I would travel if need be. I will go as far as i can afford to have fun in the woods. If I'm out i like to shoot stumps just to keep in practice, and i never get sick of seeing if i can hit "that". I like to deer hunt but just roaming around with no real destination just joking around with my son and see what we can shoot at, we make up real hunting scenarios using stumps and whatever instead of animals. We stalk up on them and let the arrows fly then congratulate or bust on each other depending on a hit or a miss. If i see a squirrel or rabbit I'll take a poke at them. It's good relaxation, time spent with family, friends or a chance to get away alone. Our lives speed by fast I'm gonna go as often as i can before it ends. You cant go back and redo it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »
Stump shooting is a daily thing for me. One arrow, fifty arrows, 10 seconds or one hour. As close to meditation as I will ever get.  :)
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
You bet I'm a stump hunter and I have been known to drive as far as 300 miles to spend an afternoon stumpin with a friend.

LeRoy
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
Yup, I spend a lot of time in the off season doing it. i shoot a lot of balloons as well. I take a nice walk without the bow and set out a few dozen ballons, walk back and get my bow and stalk the balloons. It is nice as you do not leave a mess in the woods. Ya can fit an awful lot of busted balloons in your pocket and I can put them out where I avoid busting arrows as well!! I can shoot in the yard, but usually drive 5 minutes to my brothers house. Shawn
Shawn

Offline awishanew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »
I'm a stump shooter and also we had a stump shoot and weiner roast that close to 50 stickbow guys showed up. Lots of fun but not as peaceful as being alone, just you and the bow.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
Yep, stumpin is fun and great practice.Plus I only have to walk out my door to do it.   :D   I stump shoot until the snow takes over.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
I stump shoot all year long, in spite of the closed season and my lack of a license.  I'll tell you, nothing is as good on the grill as a fresh stump.  Couple beers, some friends and some freshly shot stumps (or leaves, or clumps of darker "stuff").  

Really...I like "stump shooting" better than normal hunting, for a lot of reasons , including....I can shoot a thousand times if I want to,......I can miss all the shots and not worry about wounding anything,....I can take shots that are totally obnoxious, unbelievable, far, close, weird etc..... I can laugh and feel good the whole time......It lets me be in the woods, some of my favorite haunts.

Yep, stump shooting is the best.
ChuckC

Offline Jake H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
Can't get enough stump hunting!  Roving is great fun and a tremendous confidence builder. Big Dog and I get out around his place regularly and he tends to pick truely tough shots... farther shots, thicker cover, narrower gaps... than either of us would ever take at game.  If I can make THOSE shots, I know I can make the more ideal shots I would allow myself on game.  

Besides, it's just plain FUN.   Walking, shooting, a stop for tea and photos, a little off-seaon scouting... roving has it ALL.

Jake
(who wouldn't have loosed an arrow all in deer season if it weren't for stumping back to the car... dangit)

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
The sad thing is i would say I fear no stump but.... Some of those stumps can make you pay.  You bet I love it!  :archer:
Andrew

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »
Arrows are like ammo...Made to be shot...I have special ones to be shot between rocks or at a target with a swamp in the background. Can't have too many arrows!... :D ... My wife tells her friends..."My husband never has more that five bucks in his pocket, but you can bet he has over 150 arrows ready to go in the basement!"

Thanks for all the feed back so far... :thumbsup:

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
Without a doubt the best way (beside hunting) of spending a day.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 10:19:00 PM »
Up here in ND, stumps are rare critters.  So being, I hunt tumbleweeds, clods in the fields around my barn, and the ever plentiful cattail heads.  I do it every day too.

For whatever reason, I'm a much better roving shot than I am shooting at a bag target on my range...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
I love stump shooting. Jawge

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »
Mostly I love the dumb looks when I tell a non archer that I love going stump shooting.  :)  Jawge

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
Love to shoot stumps! I am kind od sad when I go out stump hunting nowadays though. When I got started my Black Lab Jake was always with me, we would roam the woods, he would get in some hunting for birds and exploring, and I would get some good target practice. He passed away last year, so stump shooting now is lonely. But ya think he is still exploring a set of woods somewhere, looking over his shoulder saying to me- come on catch up! and I will down the road.

Stump shooting is great to really hone skills in the woods as far as shooting goes. It is great fun as well.

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
I love stump shooting. Honestly, I think it's probably the best archery practice you can do for hunting.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
J-Dog....
    Go the animal shelter and get ya a new buddy to stump with....
    You'll be doing the Dog a favor and yourself.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©