3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are You A "Stump" Hunter?...And Why?...  (Read 8402 times)

Offline EDW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are You A "Stump" Hunter?...And Why?...
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »
I'm a stump hunter- reason? I love watching arrows fly and when out hunting it's terrific practice.
EDW

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
Oh yes I have watched a good many of my finest arrows skitter into the hidden places of the north Idaho woods while in persuit of stumps,deadfall,pinecones and the like.... I suppose it would be sad if I didn't love building my own arrows so much. They may be pretty there on the wall but the true beauty is watching them fly. Some day I hope to stalk whitetail as well as I stalk stumps.  ;)
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
I love it and have over 300,000 acres of National Forest to roam, maybe I can cover it all before I meet my maker, hopefully there are stumps up there.

ROOTER
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »
Yes we do and love it

I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006, 02:03:00 AM »
i do it, but i am usually shooting at animals and miss and when my arrow hits something else, i try to tell myself it was a good shot!!!
live and die by shades of grey

Offline barking mad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006, 02:58:00 AM »
Another stump hunter reporting.

The most fun way to practice shooting at unmarked distances. Best shared with a friend.

-bm.
-preserved moose-

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
Jerry....I really like that photo.  It tells a story all its own;  reminiscent of the old 50's archery.

By the way....I don't need a reason to hunt stumps.  I can't imagine anyone not hunting them.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »
Do tennis balls and nerf fotballs count?
I carry them around the country with me, throw out in the grass and the magic begins,,
When I'm home with family; long,high flying arrows can be seen. stumps leaves etc....
 Whatta quiet day in St. Peters...lol
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Whompy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »
Been doing it since I started with an Old fiberglass ben pearson bow back in the sixties. Best paractice and scouting tool made IMO.

Jack
I remember the day when taking any deer with a recurve bow was considered a trophy by all- I still do consider them trophies    :)

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »
I'm a stump shooting junkie! Now if I could get those stumps from moving around so much!!!
 I find them a great relaxation and just plain fun! I use judos and field points. The breakage of regular points vs. blunts is about the same. I seam to be able to salvage more arrows with FP and a pair of pliers.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »
I too, love Fred Anderson's book. I make arrows the same way, "cheap and lots of 'em". I probably break or loose 100 arrows a year shooting stumps. I blew up 3 or 4 just yesterday.  Didn't bother me a bit.  :)

I am fortunate to have a stumpin' woods within 200yd of my house. I shoot stumps at least once per week all year 'round. Without it I would be a different person, and not in a good way.

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
I'm a bit of a stump-aholic myself! I just can't get enough of it. I started out shooting that way when I was a kid and have never grown out of it! I have probably lost or broke enough arrows on stumps to supply the average shooter 3 or 4 lifetimes.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »
Wingshooting first, stump shooting close second, clout shooting third, paper target shooting distant forth or maybe even fifth.

Offline sharps4590

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »
Stump shootin' is just plain ol' great fun and good practice, there's the "why".  Down here in the Ozarks one has to be careful, as others have mentioned, else he will find his arrer in several pieces next to a still very hard, white oak stump.  I can't sat it's 100% true but it appears I shoot better at stumps and fur than I do targets of any variety.

I have several hundred acres to roam, trap and hunt right out my back door.  Some is mine but most is neighbors.  I doubt I would drive very far to stump shoot or hunt....mostly cuz I don't have to.
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »
We don't have stumps to shoot here, but we do have termite mounds! They're pretty hard, but they suffice.

I've shot my Grizzlystik Safaris at them lots, and they hold up real well.

The other day, I decided to give my CX350s a go, wearing Magnus broadheads, out of peer pressure, lack of donkeys, and lack of suitable field point. I was pleasantly surprised at how well that arrow and broadhead took the beating those termite mounds dished out to it. Of course, I flexed and inspected for damage before each shot.

You know, after an unsuccessful hunt, the plod back through the scrub over many miles, through the heat, to get back to the car, is quite a chore. But, if you start shooting your way back, from termite mound to termite mound, the miles get eaten-up without you realising it!

Cheers, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »
Stumping anytime is a good, but I really like this time of year the best. The leaves are down and you can follow an arrow's flight a long ways through the woods  :)  . Its also a perfect time to combine stumping and post-season scouting.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
Gray;

Darnit, I need to pester the Buffalo Tounge gang again, it's been far too long!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
Spent an hour and a half stomping and stumping the little green space behind my folks suburban home.  Had a ball.  Killed me a discarded cheap dimestore novel that someone had dumped, slayed a fire-breathing gatorade bottle, almost lost an arrow bouncing off of a large plastic container, abused my aluminum easton arrow sending it through an electronic control board from a dumped tv... not to mention brought back a lot of childhood memories of stomping on the same ground.  Love stump shooting.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
aint no season on stumps so I can miss as many as I want. saddly I have no one to go stumping with me. I am all alone locally
the guys that might join me drifted off elsewhere.

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »
I've even shot a cow turd or two.  You must become an expert at judging the right ones though.

Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©