INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: schafer  (Read 743 times)

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
schafer
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
what would make one schafer more collectable than other. i understand originals more so than daves,but it is the woods or the bow weights.i've seen some sell in minutes while other dragged about for some time. so what are your preferences for the schafer collector.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: schafer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
One of the rarest Windauer Silvertips that I've come across was on the auction site a few weeks ago.  It was #13 of 25 commerative bows done by Dave in Pauls memory.  The first time it was listed it went over 1500 and had not met the reserve, the second time it was over 1400 and again did not meet reserve price.

Other than that, I would think that any of Pauls bows done in exotics would be rare as most that I've seen had been built to be workers and not necessarily lookers.  Mostly diamondwood (actionwood ?)

Another guess would be that bows made for his close friends like Bart Steyler would bring a higher price.

Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I had one of Pauls early models as Tim mentioned blond-ishie colored diamondwood-riser and corewood with clear fiberglass....The one I had sold on freebay for  a shade over 700.00 about 4 years ago..I would have kept that one,but the darn thing was like 80# so you know I never got to enjoy shooting it..Dave's bows,I think are sure prettier then Pauls.  bowdoc

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
thanks for the comments, have any idea what an average price for an original schafer would go, and did he make many bows with exotics or did he work mainly with diamondwood.

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
There was an original Schafer on $bay recently and I believe it sold for $800 plus.

I have a few Tips and for me, there is really no preference between Paul's and Dave's. However, I do agree with Tim... I think Paul's bows were built to be highly fuctional workhorse's.

Dave's are highly fuctional workhorse's and works of art.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©