INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 59 Herters recurve(Pics Added) What is It?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
59 Herters recurve(Pics Added) What is It?
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
anyone have any pictures of  1959 Herter's recurves they are willing to share?  

Thanks, Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 59 Herters recurve(Pics Added) What is It?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 04:42:00 AM »
The bow second from bottom is a 1959.

Brian Kupris

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
TY Brian,  Wow it's quite different than the others on that wall.  Are they all Herters bows?  Nice!  Are they good shooters?  Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Yeah all Herters bows. I think 1959 was the first year Herters made a wood handled bow and they were pretty simple in design. They shoot surprisingly well for their age. Some of them are almost as old as me    :)
Brian Kupris

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Brian great lQQking collection to have there.   :thumbsup:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks, got a few others not in the pic  ;)
Brian Kupris

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
here are some pics, I have no idea what the bow is.  Originally the gentleman told me it was a '59 but his wife remembers it being a '57. (she noted to him that he was fresh out of college and "unemployed" when he ordered it. LOL, a detail she wasnt likely to forget)

He says it was special ordered from Herters, and supposedly it is 75#.  It is 66".

The bow has a carmel colored back with a black belly.  The glass is interwoven glass. Riser is Maple in color.  Birdseye?? I put the 59K in a pic for comparison to show how big and bulky the riser is.

There's no spec's on the bow anywhere.  Perhaps because it was a special order.

What is it?  I assume the raised arrow shelf on the riser will give it away quickly.  

I'd like to show a pic of the strung profile but I'm not sure I should or could string it.  

Daryl

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Daryl

Does it have a serial number on it anywhere?
Brian Kupris

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
that help?

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Nice looking bows.  I shot a Herters for many years.  I still have it.  Pretty slow compared to todays bows.  I think I got it in about 1973.  Believe it was a 66" Sika.  Still have the receipt.  Think I gave about $50.00.  Also shot micro-flight shafts.  Really took a big piece of wood to make the riser.  Had a hard time getting used to my 2nd bow - lighter and smaller handle.  Most people today never heard of Herters.  I also used to order a lot of "makins" to lures from Herters.  Have a couple of their catalogs - fun to look at the prices.

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAP:
that help?
Daryl

With no distinguishing serial number or stickers/decals it's anybodys guess? That funky arrow shelf tells me it is very similar to the original Herters bows, probably the CV like Droptine says...??
Brian Kupris

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Do you think the reason for no specs was the high poundage special order?  What years were the CV models produced?  Trap

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:06:00 AM »
Daryl

I only have some of the old Herters catalogues. According to "Archery Archives" the CV was available from 1959-1966.
Brian Kupris

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
The info missing would not be to odd for a bow of that age.Some manufactures wrote it on top of the original finish and it got rubbed off.A few old bows have been refinished too and the info never got replaced..Some manufactures built bows for archery shops.That had no manufactures name on the bow.Like Viking or is it Vikeing,never mind I just walked out to my shop and checked my own and it's Viking.Viking bought bows from Bear,Herter's and Ben Pearson.But they were shipped to Viking with no manufactures name weight or length.I am not sure if Viking was saveing money or just wanted to make sure thier name was the only one on items they sold.Not sure why the info is gone on your Herter's.I do think thats a 1959 in the pic.Which also came in a few birdseye maple riser models (hard one to find in birdseye).....bowdoc

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Nice bow Trap-it would be tough to fit one of your feather rests on that shelf!!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
If I were 20 years younger I'd get my file out and get that arrow shelf down there where it needs to be and take about an inch of circumference out of that grip.  I bet the old Brute will really push a 2219. I strung it yesterday and it's nice and straight.

That's a huge "if" though, so I'll leave it just like I found it

Offline cornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
That is in fact a 59 or 58 Herters and I have one as well.Mine is birdseye maple and has no decals but does have bow specs and serial # wich indicates that mine is actually a 1958.I do not have but have seen lit. on that bow.If I remember correctly, Bob Barrie once told me that it was made before Herters were making there own bows. Mr. Barrie was in charge of Herters bow dept.back in the day. He now  as you may know is retired from the rocky mountain broadhead company that he founded.I'm not the greatest with computers and if this site would have a browse button I could show some pix.  :thumbsup:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
The gentleman I bought the bow from was fresh out of college and worked for the Forestry Division in the state of Washington when he ordered it.  

He had a buddy that had some Lion dogs and he bought it for Mt. Lion hunting, but was called away by the U.S. Air Force before he got a chance to hunt with it.  He said it's been hanging on a set of Moose antlers for the past 30 years since he and his wife moved to Missouri.

Pretty cool info Dan,  Daryl

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I will put one just like it on that auction site tommorrow nite for you Herter's collectors.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©