INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Comparing the Classic Kodiaks as Shooters  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
Comparing the Classic Kodiaks as Shooters
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
I've been very blessed to have the following:

1956 Kodiak  64" 61#
1957 Kodiak  60" 65#
1960 Kodiak  64" 65#
1962 Kodiak  60" 62#
1964 Kodiak  60" 65#

Ranked first to last in the order of most important shooting characteristics (to me):

Quietest:                   57,60,56,62,64
Accuracy/Easiest to Shoot:  60,62,64,57,56
Smoothest:                  60,56,57,62,64
Fastest (Not Chrono'd):     64,62,60,57,56
Looks:                      60,62,57,56,64

Anyone else?

Dave

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comparing the Classic Kodiaks as Shooters
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I would like to say one thing first off.I myself hate to see carbon arrows and FF strings on older bows...Those bows were built before any of that crap ever came along....Now with that said,I hope I did not insult anyone in anyway...Last summer I had some of the local boy's over at my place testing out a couple new bows they just got.I mean new new..not used.I mean new from the manufacture....Someone like this place called black wider or something like that....anywho...crap talken fools were beating me down...I was shooting a 1959 Grizzly...One of em says...I could run down there catch your arrow...so I go into my shop for the shooting chrony and tripod..OK OK so these two jokers are almost melting down my griz...I'am humbled they think..But the old bowdocs got one up his sleeve....I bring out my 1962 Bear Kodiak 50#er.They are almost rolling on the ground now saying something to the affect of is that all you got....she's set up with a 10 strand flemish twist string...thats legal cause it ai'nt no FF...number 7 micro flight fiberglass shaft with a 65 grain nib for the tip..again thats legal for target shooting...192 feet per second 3 times in a row from the old 62 Kod with no arrow rest I might add(slows her down a little)....she sounds like a 22 stinger going off but was smoken with them there wider thing-ies...Balance the arrow and string to the bow and they all shoot about the same....ya gotta love em huh??? I bet your 65# 1957 is just a burner..............bowdoc

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Donny you're like tabasco sauce on an omelet.  A little splash here and there and the day seems a little sunnier!

I need to chrono these so I've got some real speed answers, but yes that 1957 is a screamer.  It's really hard to tell the first 4 apart in the speed department.  When I was typing the post I switched those front 4 around a couple of times.  Still not 100% certain so better take 'em all over to the local pro shop.  I can tell you this: I've got a 58# Arroyo from RE and I think that '64 is faster.

Dave

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Hey Dave one thought is and well documented....sometimes our eyes do not really see what we think we saw.I think.You know you are witness to a bank robbery and the cop says what did the guy look like.We say wow happened so fast I am not sure if I saw what I think I saw...So yes your right...I had to get the chrony for my own satisfacion after one buddy had a bingham kit bow he said was faster then any of my bows...again if push come to shove...I will run on pinks for titles if need be...I fear no bow....His bingham did look fast to both of our eyes...But well tillerd and almost center shot it was hard to really see the arrow good,because it was just about only noc you were seeing...Once the shooting chrony was set and zeroed...the tears feel like rain drops from his cring eyes....150 per..she was a dog....but darn it..it looked fast as the bank robber did to me.....bowdoc

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
I love tabasco on my eggs!

I have been looking for a 60 Kodiak for a while, and see your ratings put them toward the top. They're pricey, but maybe there's a reason why.

...and love those 62's.
Lon Scott

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
You're are a real kick in the A$S, 'doc! You wake me up and start the day with the right attitude, I'll tell ya. Thanks.
Al (Als Decals)

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I would think the 65# '57 would be the fastest bow in the group.... and no joy to string up either... keep us posted if you get to shoot through a chronograph. good luck! The 1960 Kodiaks are my favorite shooters personally... and the '59's are a very close second... but then I like the '61 and '62 Kodiaks... now I'm getting confused...oh the indecision... better shoot them all!

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Holly balls,now I'am getting confused....oh OK let's worsen it,shall we?   Now I know for sure Blackhawk has been looking for a 1960 Kodiak,and he sure the heTT ai'nt gonna let it hang....He's been around my shop to see if I got a spare....but he knows I don't because,I don't got one myself much less a spare???????                                     So now Blackhawk my thought would be which 1960 Kodiak do you like to shoot best...early copper coin model ? or the later aluminum coin model ? or maybe it would have to be the later aluminum coin model after the limb change was made.....ya ya I like that one best of all too...Thats the shooter of shooters for the 1960 60".And I might say the best of the best of all the Kodiaks for a good shooter......but I sold mine to this basta&*^ that won't sell it back,so I can't say no more...god was I dumb or what???? you all don't have to agree with me eather.......about being dumb I mean...bowdoc

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
Donny;

My 1960 has the copper coin.  Are you saying the 1960 limb change can only be tracked with the aluminum coin?  Does that mean the copper coin '60 models were the same bow as the '59s?

Dave

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
No the copper coin 1960 is not the same limbs as the 1959.All 3 1960's are different from the 1959's.First 1960 has a copper coin....second has an aluminum coin and the same limb design as the first....third has an aluminum coin with a slightly different limb.A bit more curve or recurve in the last 10 inches of the limbs.....the 3rd I thought was a bit better shooter and maybe little faster as well.That limb on the late 1960's is closer to a 1961 limb but not quite the same.Pretty weird huh??? bowdoc

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
So the late 1960 Kodiak was the transition to the '61/62 limb design?  

I've never had the chance to shoot a 1959 Kodiak.  How do they shoot compared to the early versions of the 1960?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Slower,but don't make as much noise. I have a 1959 64" and thats a very smooth to draw great shooter.....bowdoc

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
I had what I thought was a 1960 Grizzly with the aluminum coin in 65# that I sold to Danny Rowan.  Now after reading your posts several months back I'm not sure that it wasn't a '59.  Anyway that was the quietest bow I've come across to date.  Never chrono'd that one either but it was pretty quick.  Shot right with my '60 Kodiak.

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Who's got a '67 Kodiak (Nope - not a 67 1/2)?

Al (Als decals)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
There was no Kodiak in 1967 since the "Super Kodiak" was introduced in 1967 1/2.
Lon Scott

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
I had heard somewhere the Bear made a few in 67. If I remember right (and the neurons don't always fire right any more), they were made with Tigerwood riser, high compression material caps and brown glass, but the S/N stayed 6Lxxxx.. They experienced some kind of technical problem, dropped the design and came out with the 67 1/2.

I can't find any catalog or magazine ad proof of it though.

Al (Als Decals)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
I sold the 1967 Kodiak from my collection last year.The Bear sales rep I got that bow from told me there were around 48 made to the best of his knowledge..yes the bow is indent.to a 1966 Kodiak....but they have black micarta caps and tigerwood riser as mentioned above..The grandfather of the super kodiaks ??? It was going to look to super K-ish which was the new line already in production...so they dropped her altogether.The pic of the 1967 Kodiak with brown overlays rather then white overlays in the 1967 Bear catalog is an airbrush job..But the real rare gem of gems...is the 1965 Kodiak with the red paper micarta caps..(anyone know how to spell that)..two years before the supers..now I have only ever seen one and was told of another...but both those 65 and 66 are really really rare...bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©