INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: a 56 bear, oh my...  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
a 56 bear, oh my...
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
....favorite!!  
I got the luxury of viewing a collection of some profile pics of some of the most beautiful bear bows...I have always loved a one piece recurve the best and honestly think I have found the bow that suits me, I know shooting one that does shoot well for the individual matters in choice but...Although while gazing at this forum on some downtime, I really been dazzled by some beautiful vintage bows...and am hooked. When Frank brought that 59 home (I know Jeremy, your favorite      :D      ), I have to admit I was a bit envious. I am on the lookout for one now that I can shoot, something in shootable condition, does'nt need to be mint but to just shoot and look at, plus the history one may hold... am partial to the 60's also but that bow just took my breath away and love that slender grip(thanks so much Daryl (Trap)...any pics from others, or were they pretty much all the same?
Thanks in advance.....and thank you Daryl  for the push over the edge.....      :archer:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a 56 bear, oh my...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
Shell there is a great looking 1959 listed on freebay right now...it's listed as a 1960,but it's a 1959 with a late 1961 early 1962 Bear coin replaceing the original copper coin..check it out if you have time...pretty good looking bow.I would want to see close ups of the tip overlays before I paid to much for it myself..bowdoc

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Shell, sent you a PM.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
What weight are you looking for Shell?  I might have something for you that'll make Frank jealous  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Shell, that bow you drooled over is a 1956 Kodiak Special. 60" model.  the 1956 kodiak was the double shelfer.  Good luck in your search.  Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm a greenhorn with these older models but know what I like when I see it...sorry if this sounded as if I was asking to purchase one on the forum, not that, I just wanted to see pics of any other 56 kodiak specials in strung profile and if they all came in the same woods etc...

and doc, please don't say that when Frank's around... shhhh but I was aware of it...
I too like that 59 but never thought I would like any of the 50's  models until at that point when I seen that 56 strung.
Now I'm hopelessly hooked....     :help:

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Jeremy, You stirring that pot again?   :saywhat:    :D

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Me??  Not at all  :D

But I do have something coming in the mail you just might like  :D
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
Here ya go Shell.  Top is a '56 Kodiak Special, the bottom is a '57.

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
You REALLY don't make things easy on me Jeremy...
Now I'm loving both put together like that...
I can see this is gonna be nothing but trouble   :goldtooth:  

I did peek at the interview and am in awe of those bows in the collections of pics...
And I just wanted to pick/find a faorite "1"
to shoot not start thinking of more...
the 56 is the one for me...although.

oh, I should'nt even be on here. I got some work to be finishing on..

Thanks so much for the help guys, I appreciate it tremendously and you all are the best.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Hey Shell,
Thought I'd join in.  Heres another 56' Kodiak Special and I believe its all original down to the strike plate and rug.  68" 48@28, and a smooth smooth shooter.

USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Here's a shot of the sight window on a 1958 Kodiak Special I've been working on.....The purple heart trim really looks good with new finish.Rosewood with purple heart....hummmmm,bowdoc

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Doc your killing me,that is some pretty wood

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
I wonder how a nice orange-barred feather rest would look on that fine weapon??

:bigsmyl:    

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Wow doc, that baby looks wet.  Hmmm, I have been wanting to get mine refinished......Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks guy's,nope she's actually dry(24hrs)Inbetween coats or cotes...I just done about 5 minutes ago,spraying it again.Still have about 3-4 more coats to go.Oh yes that 57-58 KS with the purple heart trim looks great...They shoot good and look good too,what more could a traditional archer want?????? bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Here's a few more pics for ya Shell to  :help:  you out.  

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Trap, that's a beauty! I've got a 1956 64" 45# Kodiak Special that came with an original scabbard quiver - both are in great shape. I also have a really mint 1956 64" 50# Kodiak Special that has lots of birdseye on the back side of the riser. Sorry, don't have pics of either available right now. Maybe I can get some going and add them to this thread over the weekend. CKruse   :cool:
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
I love the Kodiak Specials Cam.  And I dig those old Bear Quivers also.  I've bid on several of those 3 arrow scabbards but havent won one yet. The KSs are a heck of alot of bow for the money usually.  I just recently received a 68" 45#er that needs a face lift.  I cant wait to shoot it.

When I received the 60" pictured above I was sure the grip had been reworked because it was so small.  The leather grip had been replaced with a lace up job.  When I took it off the original specs were written  underneath.  

Is it the '57 KS that has the tri-colored tips red, black and white?  They are sweet. If so, show us those tips Doc.  I bet they are stunning.

Daryl

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Here's a couple pics of my new (to me) 1955 Kodiak Special. It was the first year for Kodiak Specials and this one is a 57 pounder!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©