INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: a 56 bear, oh my...  (Read 1981 times)

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a 56 bear, oh my...
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
Oooooh, that 55 is nice.  I want one of those. What is the I beam on that one, stained maple? or another wood?
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Diamond wood ibean for 1955...Neat bows...bowdoc

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Good stuff, thanks doc.  I didn't know Bear used diamond wood that early on. I really gotta get the catalogs, theres so much to learn about these things.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Daryl, That is the one! One beautiful bow and right on about the quiver aboard... quit teasing about the orange barred rest...right down to the string and colors...that is a set-up!

Doc is I'm afraid to look what you post in that I just can't believe how some of those bows look after you get one in posession to work on, the one you did up for Frank was unbelievable...

I really never took the time to look closely at these models but the woods are incredible and the lines are so nice, I loved that rosewood and strip of purpleheart together...good thing you took that pic down or I think I may have gone crazy.

Tim, thanks for your pics, you can really see the shape of the longer models and differences...the wood tones I think are what also drew me in...placement and color choices....(looking forward to seeing a pic of your when you re-finish it too) if you mean the one posted, that looks good as is to me anyway  :)

I don't know what I like more in the woods but that 55 sure is a beautiful piece...wow!

This has really helped alot and so much appreciate the pics.
When I finish up on my stuff, I will be looking into things more as I can....again thanks for all the helpful ideas and pics.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Yes I was deleteing some pics this morning and ended up doing what I always do when I push buttons without reading what it says...Like do you want to delete all these pics...I just click yes...I should be done maybe sunday and will have the new leather grip on the KS as well.I will load one more pic before it heads home..I really do like the way those specials shoot so smoooooooth...bowdoc

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
I've always thought the 55-58 KS were the same bow, just different glass.  Jeremy's pics of the '56 and '57 show there's clearly some different geometry going on there.  Tim's and Trap's pics of their '55 and '56 models look amazingly like my 60" 1957 Kodiak.  I've got a 1955 and 1956 KS in 64" and a 1957 in 66", along with that '57 Kodiak.   While it's hard to compare features because the bows are different lengths, looking at them more closely now it seems like the 55/56 and the 57 Kodiak share some characteristics the 1957 KS doesn't have.  Any experts here on the differences?  For me the 55/56 KS and the 1957 Kodiak are very similar in how they shoot; much nicer shooting than that '57 KS.

Dave

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Dave, I can finally weigh in on one fo these questions! Though definitely not an expert.

I have the '56 and '57 KSpecial in 64" length, and also the '56 and '57 Kodiak both in 64".  The risers on the KSpecials are longer and more massive and there is much less working recurve in both.  There's also a whole lot less reflex in the KS compared to the Kodiak.  The early draw weight in the Kodiaks is much more pronounced and they definitely have the edge in speed, though the lower riser mass makes 'em a bit touchier.

The '57 KS has a longer riser and shorter working limbs (but more working recurve) than the '56.  The '56 seems smoother to draw out to my ~30" (lower string angle at the tips at full draw) than the '57, but I actually prefer the way the '57 shoots.  Moving the working limb farther out from the handle seems to make it less touchy of followthrough since you're not fighting the bow as much.  Not that with the mass in the riser of the '56 you're doing much of that anyway  :)

It'll be a toss up as to which I take out hunting first... though when I get my 64" 1959 KSpecial back from droptine it's going to get real hard   :bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
someone should post a pic of a 59 KS to really make Shell's choice more difficult   :bigsmyl:  

I would, but I dont have one    :(    yet   :)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
You mean one of these (second in from the right)

I like the '59s  :D
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
:biglaugh:
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
like who....oh yeah her  :scared:
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Jeremy, Those are beautiful   :bigsmyl:  

Rich, you plan on posting pics of the 58 when done? Not into the other screaming stuff but sure would like to see that bow...

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Oh Jeremy.....

:bigsmyl:  

You are something special, you are!

Will be back later, time to go outside for awhile.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Don't know what yer talkin' about Shell  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©