INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Sweeeeeeet feather rest  (Read 2993 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Sweeeeeeet feather rest
« on: April 04, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
Got a couple feather rests off a fellow tradster..Finaly got caught up enough to try one out.I put 150 shot over it with no sign of wear at all..real quiet smooth and slick.The double backed tape seems to hold real good,no problems with them comeing unglued during shooting.I was shooting a 600 grain Sweetland over it and the feather rest still looks near new..Matches up nice with the zebra skin strike plate..Great feather rest,I would recommend giveing one a try..........bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sweeeeeeet feather rest
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
here's one more better pic......bowdoc

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
Doc, where can I get a few of those rests?  Who sells them?

Jon

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
Another vote here for our mystery maker... they sure look good too!

but these pics are clouding my mind so gotta go
  :wavey:  

Just wanted to ditto you all!  :thumbsup:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Hi Jon,he should be along shortly.I'am gonna use the other one on my 1959 Kodiak....They work super good.Most importently,they seem to stay glued down and the feathers are plenty stiff enough.The samples I got from another supplier came unglued after about 50 shots,so I did not use anymore.Until those two showed up.These new ones are great...I am heading to a 3d in two weeks and will really give it the test on both bows...bowdoc

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Looks like what Jack Howard put on all his bows, ecept that his were red and grey.  Best rest that I have ever used.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Morning Jack,I was hopeing you were gonna see that,as I was pretty certin a JH collecter would have an eye for a good feather rest..You would not happen to have on of Jack's original feather rest would you? Reason I ask is the tradgangster whom is makeing those would love to get a look at one of Jack's originals which I also tested several years ago and there was no comparison...Jacks were 10 fold better then the next one in line...Thanks Jack keep me posted,bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Double D,those are one of the best I've tested and I for-sure will have one of em glued on that Custom Kodiak when I head for Que'bec in two months....Nice work......I will check my mail later today for the others....bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
and I just wish I had a Custom Kodiak to glue one on  :biglaugh:  

Thanks again, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Don I had gotten a couple myself but haven't puttem  on as yet.
I assume they get installed right next to the riser?
Are these considered an elevated rest making them No Good for an IBO shoots for Longbow shooters?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
I do leave a small gap inbetween the rest and strike plate myself.But yes they go right againest the riser.I could not answer about the IBO shoots....bowdoc

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
I got three in super mag case I won from Trap.  Those rest are the cats nuts!..Looks great on my 63 Tamerlane That Bowdoc did his magic On last Year.
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Alright Trap, address and a price as I need a few.  Of course thats if you want to get rid of a few. Thanks in advance.

Jon

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Hi Jon,

I want to be respectful and not break any rules here and end up getting a thread pulled.

You can either PM me or send me an email and I'll get you the info you requested.

Thanks again for the kudus E1, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Whoooooooops,sorry I forgot to pm Jon about pm-ing you....my fault guy's..bowdoc

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Jon I'm told the "PM-ing" is ok.
It's the "PMS-ing" we can do with out.  :bigsmyl:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Wooops, I have 4 on the way (smiley face hear)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks Trap; those rests have really spruced up a coupla' my '59 Kodiaks!

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
For what it's worth, here is my opinion of the Trap rest as it compares to Jack howard's, from what I can see.

The rest pictured seems to be of the same level all the way across.

Jack's rests were made with the outside feather vane being the highest, then each one lower going into the riser.  This created a down angle going toward the arrow plate.  After it is shot a while the arrow eventually wears a kind of groove or trough that the arrow slides through.  This is a big help in keeping the arrow from falling off during the draw.  They are tough and last almost forever.

Trap's rest seems like it could be used on both right or left hand bows.  Jack's were not ambidexterous, in that a left hand rest had to be just the opposite.  I have no idea how Jack made them but I assume he glued them together, then shaped the with a feather burner to get the base rest made, then used another burner to get the downward angle.  I can see where he could have used the same second burner for right or left rests, just burn the left rest in reverse.

You might want to contact Charlie Lamb.  He has been making Jack's feather rests and strings since Jack passed.  Jack charged $12.00 for a set of one red and one grey rest.  I don't know what Charlie charges, but he is not in it for the money and I am sure he would be glad to share any knowledge he has.

I have a few of Charlies rest's and they are just like Jack's

Trap - If you will PM your address, I will send you one of Jack's rest, and one of Charlie's, but I want Jack's back.  I only have about 3 of his originals left.

It would be good to have someone else making these.  Between Trap abd Charlie we will have a guaranteed supply,

I have a pretty large collection of bows and I use Jack's rest on most of them except for those that I have original rests for authenticity.

For shooting, I like the Jack Howard rest best of all.  I would like to ary A "Trap Feather Rest".  From Don's description, it sounds like an improved version.

You know the old saying, "Build a better mouseTRAP...
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Hi Jack,  Thanks for the offer.  I'll gladly take you up on that, and I'll PM you my address

The rest that Doc has pictured is as you described, flat across the top.  It's one of my first ones.  At first I was just trying to reproduce the "look" and wasnt concerned as much about function.  Doc, Bjorn and Rich  graciously test piloted these rests and all offered great advice. With their urging and others' I realized I could make them much more functional as well.

I've since started grinding them on an angle with the outside feather being the longest and the innermost feather the shortest.  At first I also assumed they would be ambidextrious  but with research found that they required Rt wing feathers for RH shooters and Lt wing feahers for LH shooters.

I'll send you a couple for your review.  I welcome your input as well.

Thanks, Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©