INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1963? Damon Howatt Hunter  (Read 1433 times)

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
1963? Damon Howatt Hunter
« on: April 05, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
I've been branching out a bit with my bow collecting. I've been intrigued by a number of the Damon Howatt bows, but until today I hadn't been able to get an early one. I've seen a few of these, but when I unboxed this one today, it was true love!!   :pray:  

"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1963? Damon Howatt Hunter
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
The specs- and the "Ne Plus Ultra" banner!

"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
I'm excited like a little girl in springtime!   :bigsmyl:      :biglaugh:  

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
This picture marks the halfway point of my giddyness!  :thumbsup:  

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
There appears to be a lamination of heartwood and sapwood in the beloved Brazilian Rosewood.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
A little closer look at the aforementioned lamination.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Just remember how happy you are for me, and try not to hate. Can I still hang out with you guys?  :campfire:  

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
ckruse,
OUTSTANDING CONGRATS    :thumbsup:   Love that Brazilian Rosewood.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Bravo - and that grip fits the hand like a glove.
I love Bears, but them ol' DH Hunters are rocket launchers. Match 'em with a heavy arrow, and they can drive nails.
(Sorry, Fred)

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
that baby sure looks sweet! keep us posted on the love affair!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
That's a Gem Cam,  

I love unboxing a new one. Pictures never do them justice.

Great find, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline 19420

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Acording to Larry Hatfield, the wood in the riser may be Indian Rosewood from Indonesian. They could not get Brazilian Rosewood in plank form so they changed to the above.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
I saw where he had commented about that in regard to yours, and I figured mine might be the same, but in a recent thread he stated that the East Indian Rosewood was a 70's deal. So, I think probably Brazilian- but who knows for sure. I do know it's good looking wood! CKruse

Offline 19420

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Ckruse - tell use about your bow collection - I am interested to know about your collection. I have about 12 recurves and my wife calls it a collection.
Regards from Canada 19420

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm small time compared to a lot of these fellows. I have probably 50 Grayling Bears now, give or take a few. I've recently sold off my Kodiak Magnums and a few other odds and ends. I'm very lucky to have gotten a couple of Jack Howard bows, a few Damon Howatts, 8 or 10 Ben Pearsons including a few Golden Sovereigns, My original Bighorn Takedown with a few sets of limbs, and lesser numbers of stuff like E.Bud Pierson, Jack Kempf, Eicholtz, Nirk, Shakespeare, Root, and several Black Widows. The newer Widows tend to be my "go to" hunting bows. I've got some odd and end accoutrements, lots of Razorheads, Magnum I and II broadheads, a few catalogs and flyers, a few autographed Fred Bear Pictures, etc.

It truly is a disease. But, these items bring me a lot of joy. It's really easy to get hung up on Bear Archery items, but there is a lot of great bows and gear that was made by others. It's truly a treat to get to converse with the fellows that frequent here, and many I consider friends even though I've never met them in person.

To be honest I don't know how many bows I have. I need to itemize some of the ones that I will own when I die, and insure them with a rider on my homeowners policy. I'm sure most of us are lacking in that regard. Thanks for asking Al J. and good luck with that surely-to-grow bow collection!! CKruse

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
ckruse, I have a bunch of 40's, 50's and 60's Bowhunting and Archery World Magazines and I noticed a few Damon Howatt adds for bows.  If you want I could copy them and mail them off to you.  EX:  June l960, Howatts New Eldorado Catalina for $85.00.  Let me know.   This post caught my eye as I just picked up a Howatt x-200 bow.

Jon

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 07:28:00 AM »
Jon, that would be awesome! If you have any with a comparable Howatt Hunter that would be even better. I will PM you with my address. Thanks, CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Nice bow Cam those are for sure some real lookers.I have about the same year Hunter with white fiberglass.Very diffecult to ID any of the rosewoods used in the 50's 60's and into the 70's.Brazilian Hunduran East Indian Indo.They all could have been used at anytime...But I believe the rosewood bows are by far the best of the best when it comes to looks.....bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©