3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long Shots  (Read 1378 times)

Offline doublewhopper

• Trad Bowhunter
Long Shots
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Anyone shoot over 30 yard with consistant success? If so whats your mental strategy and mindset?

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long Shots
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Heck yea you did say 30 feet right.  :biglaugh:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
yeah I spend quite a bit of time shooting far as far as 60 yards (Not hunting mind you) I dont need to get Internet bashed.  But when you spend quality time shooting far your mind seems to see the close 20 yd shots entirely different, Focus and stability are much greater.  At that distance  I gap shoot to avoid arrow loss, Bow arm stability I think is key...

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
On our 3d range we shoot many long shots, sometimes thru the brush. We lose a lot of arrows, but we have a blast. None of us ever take long hunting shots, but on the 3d range, nothing is too far (provided the range is clear and safe).
We all love to watch the arrow fly.
John

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Well I'll get killed for this, but I'll own up to feeling comfortable at 30. I have only taken that shot twice at game resulting in good hits and short blood trails. I do practice at longer ranges but I won't take anything that isn't in my comfort zone. Sometimes that is only 20 yards with cover, alertness of the animal, etc deciding that comfort zone. I gap shoot and my spot on with 3 under is 40 yards. I practice that distance alot but the groups are not what I'd want. It does make shorter shots seem easier. Here in Illinois we have alot of field edge stands and 30 yards is not a long way into a field. I also (gulp) range the distance to my comfort zone (30 yards) and draw the line in the sand there. Anything inside that line in the field will get shot, anything outside that line will walk. NO EXCEPTIONS! I let a 130 inch deer walk Oct 3rd. He was 32 yards, and yeah I could have killed that buck probably, but I know my limitations. Right now 30 yards is it, it's were my groups are close, and I'm fine with that.
Mike Davenport

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
I don't think there is any thing wrong taking a longer shot if you are proficient at that range. Also nothing wrong with range finding. Better to be sure of your yardage. I'm sure there will be all kinds of argument about this topic. If you KNOW you can, then go for it. If you are not sure, then do not. At the range, do what you like as long as you are safe.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
I regularly practice out to 70 yards. I will shoot game--IF EVERYTHING IS PERFECT--at 30 yards in a heartbeat.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matty:
yeah I spend quite a bit of time shooting far as far as 60 yards (Not hunting mind you) I dont need to get Internet bashed.  But when you spend quality time shooting far your mind seems to see the close 20 yd shots entirely different.
I couldn't agree more. I routinely practice with broadheads out to 50 yards. On our club's field course, I shoot out to 80 (sometimes a lot at that distance).

Yesterday afternoon I was at the club shooting indoors. We can get out to about 42 yards on the indoor range. Another club member showed up while I was shooting and we started to chat. He asked me how far I shoot whitetails. I told him I personally like them 20 and in, but I'll stretch to 25 if everything's dead perfect. I figure if I can keep all my arrows in the kill zone at 40 yards on the range, 20-25 on a live deer in the field becomes a chip shot.

When a person only practices out to 20 yards and then shoots deer at that distance, what he/she is doing it attempting the most difficult shot they know at a live animal. I'm just not personally comfortable doing that.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I'm 100% on whitetails at or a bit over 30 yards currently.  Mind you, I've only killed one so have some grains of salt with that.  :-)

My practice is mostly around 20 yards, but I also practice 30 and 40 yard shots as often as I can.  The shot I had seemed right so I took it.

IMO, the big problem isn't hitting a spot at 30 (or whatever), it's that the animal has more opportunity to move at 30 yards than at 20 or 10 and so on.  My shot was a kill, but it was a ham shot (obviously not what I had in mind when I dropped the string).  That two blade Magnus wiped out her femoral arteries on both legs but I still would rather have hit the heart at which I was aiming.

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
I shoot field out to 60 yards every weekend and I also compeat seriously to the same distances.
It's not a matter of "do I" it's a matter of "I have to"
I use my arrow tip at that range and if I know the distance I don't find it anymore difficult that 20-30 yards.
In hunting situations, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 30 yard shot provided the conditions are right.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I don't think it's can you hit from long range, as much as how much energy has the arra lost.  How far can you shoot and still get good penetration, good blood trails, quick humane kills.  Just a thought.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Most hunters practice at longer ranges. The ones who don`t, should.

As we all know, shooting ability is only part of the long shot equation. A deer that is at ease, feeding on acorns at thiry yards is a different animal than one that has just caught your scent from the same distance.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Jason

"When a person only practices out to 20 yards and then shoots deer at that distance, what he/she is doing it attempting the most difficult shot they know at a live animal. I'm just not personally comfortable doing that."

That's a very succinct way to put it.  More folks should practice at longer range for that very reason.
Otto

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I hit a milk jug at 40 yards once, but would never try over 15 yards on a deer
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
I always try to shoot game as close as possible. But I shoot a lot at farther ranges stump shooting etc.   IN MY OPINION If I can't shoot out to 30yds I feel really limited. Most of the elk I have shot have been 20ys or under. But out west here our country can be a little sparse and the difference between 28yds and 20 yds might seem like a mile to close that distance. If it looks good, And I feel confident, I take the shot not worrying about distance. Not saying I will take a 50 yd shot I'm far from that. But 30 to me is a common distance.
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
I have proven that I can miss anything- at any range- on any given day.

I practice up to 50 yards; I do not turn down shots at 40 - unless: I am not shooting 'diamond'.

BE once said that you should shoot at least one arrow at the start of every hunting adventure. He knew that if you shoot; and its a horrible shot; you will take a few more shots-- to get it out of your mind. After a few shots; you pretty much know if its a 'diamond day'; or a 'stone day'. I will and have turned down really close shots on 'stone days'; and made long shots on diamond days.
 I normally have enough shots - that I can 'afford'  not to take one- if I feel no confidence in the shot.
 I prefer a good shot: on a day full of confidence; than a good shot: on a day when I am just not 'clicked in' as well.
 I like to rove; and when I do that; what looks like a hit-a-ble target most often is right at 33 steps; and that is where I like to get shots at or under.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
i practice out to 50 and inside of 40 i know i could kill any critter with 4 legs and sometimes birds. that is saying it is standing infront of my target and i know exactly how far it is.  in a hunting situation i would take a 30 or possibly further,  as a mater of fact i have taken some uper 30s and i know that if i miss it will be a high or low shot but i have no doubt that the arrow will be inline with my spot,  wich is exactly what happens at that range while hunting, a clean passthrough of some moss and roots.  they always look closer or further but if i ever get it right at that range ill be eatin good

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
i feel very comfortable out to 30yds and took a nice buck at 31 yds this year.

i practice constantly and will say that i have no different "mindset" or way of shooting in a hunting situation. 30yds or 3yds is all the same....  concentrate, pick a spot and follow thru!!   works for me

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
I practice out to 50yds and feel very confident out to 30yds,on diamonds out to 40.I practice everyday and when hunting always shoot a practice arrow from my stand with a judo at the area I expect game to show at.This year I shot my antelope at 40yds,but I prefer 25yds and under.Whitetails I prefer 25yds and under,but have taken one at 42yds.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
30 yds is my maximum, and I'm rethinking that.  Probably until I'm proven different I'm shooting a Turkey Creek Longbow 43# @ 29", it's a new bow for me, so it has not proven itself yet to 30 yds. on use and heavy enough arrow for my poundage.  I do have 189 fps.  But what I have at 30 yd. is yet to be known, comfortable shot 10 - 25 yds  But maybe by the end of December I will have a story.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©