INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wing Collecters...look what landed  (Read 1731 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Wing Collecters...look what landed
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
I had a customer stop by yesterday.They drove up from California to visit some people.And RR always stops by to drop off a job or two for me..Well yesterday he dropped off what I am pretty certin is Bob Lee's first production Red Wing Hunter.Bob told Larry and I at Denton Hill one year he and Charolett were there together around 1998? That he used 100 for the first serial number because everyone else did,makeing it look like you made 100 or so bows,maybe a new line..At any rate thats is what he told Larry and I and I'am going to check with Bob as I would like to get this bow signed for my customer before I spray on the last 2-3 coats..Check out the pic,now she's a little rough,but not dead by any means...pretty cool and rare bow....bowdoc

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wing Collecters...look what landed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
nice!

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Yup .... '61 Red Wing Hunter. They came in 2 lengths; 58" & 62". Bob's ad in
TBH shows him with a carabou taken with that year RWH. Not a lot of them around.
Al

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Doc, If its a 61 Redwing Hunter I probably have an add out of one of the old magazines if you want a copy machine copy of the add I will look for it for you and send it off.  Let me know.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
DOC

Let's test my mental mettle.  The first one was not called a Red Wing Hunter, although it was something close to that.  I seem to recal that it was just the "Wing Hunter". I do kniow that it had the accent stripe running up the middle like you have pictured.  

Now, I am not remembering all the way back to 1961.  I am remembering a conversation with Bob Gosdick about six months before he died.  This was his Eldaroda in collectible bows.  He had sent me a picture of one he had.  The "Wing Hunter".  Precursor to the "Red Wing Hunter".

If I am right, I will wallow in my knowledge.  If I am wrong, I'll write it off to oldtimers desease.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I did not get time to call Bob or Rob today but will try for tomorrow..Jack you got me on that one.I myself have never heard of that model..I do have a copy of all the Wing Catalogs BG also sent me.......now if I could just find the $%#@&*(^  things.....Here's the early wing label.. bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Check out this feather rest...looks like it's been on there since day one...bowdoc

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
How old is that bow Bowdoc?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
1960-1961 somewhere in there...bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
You gotta promise to show some finished pics on that one.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Here's the '61/'62 Wing Catalog cover. Same cover was used for both years.
Al

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Here's a pic of the '61 RW Hunter. '62 was different than '61. Solid Brazilain rosewood handle - no stripe.
Al

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
And here's a pic of what I believe to be a '58 red wing (NO Hunter). I have the catalog and it does not indicate a year but I do have the price list that does.
Al

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
And one more member of the Red Wing family - the 62 Red Wing Custom. Very hard to find, but if you find one, they are sweet shooting bows. I have a 48#r and it is a real pleasure to shoot.
Al

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
That's awesome info. Al- I hope you are doing better and it's great to see you back on here. Did you have pneumonia? I just about died from that 15 years ago. Welcome back- hope you are healthy!

CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
OK - My Mental Metal has been tested, and found wanting.  Seeing Al's picture has jogged my memory and the senapsis are firing a bit better.  The bow that Bob Gosdic told me about was the Red Wing Custom.

I had a '63 Red Wing Hunter and it too had a solid rosewood riser.  Sweet shooting bow until it cracked up on me.  I had it in my jon boat in direct August sunlight and the upper limb just "snapped".  :banghead:
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
So RR's bow must have been after 1958 and before 1961.Front half of the riser is rosewood and the back half walnut with a rosewood stripe...Oh yes the RWC that is a very hard model to find...I actually seen one sell for over 400.00 and it had a tip overlay missing off one end..The 62" RWH is also one of the best shooting bows I have ever shot.They are super smooth pretty good speed,and to darn hard to find a used one I can afford.......Al thanks and glad your back home.....bowdoc

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Very kind. Like I told Daryl & 'doc; Got home from the hospital Sunday PM after a 5 day stay .... pneumonia. We're being hit pretty hard around here I guess. There were 6 pneumonia patients on the floor when I left. Now, another 10 days of antibiotics and away-we-go.
Al

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
I do not have a real 60 or 61 catalog. (I only have a Xerox copy of a 60). Anybody have any 60 or earlier, I'd like to rent them to scan. I will share the images upon request and pay for the rental.
Al

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©