INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Longman, C.J. & Walrond, H. (1894): Archery -- But who was George Longman?  (Read 601 times)

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
In my Archery Bibliography I have an old book for which I am looking for it's original owner, once in a while. Just today I got my hands on it again and - as the problem is not yet solved - I thought I would ask the question here.

I think many of you will know at least the title of the book:
LONGMAN, C.J. & WALROND, H. (1894): Archery. - 589 p., 194 figs.; Badminton Library of Sports and Pastimes; London (Longmans, Green & Co.).

I happen to own the large paper edition, No. 9 out of 250. The inside of the front board has a finely printed sticker, stating it once belonged to George Longman.
Being the luxury edition of this great book and showing a fairly low number I assume, 'George' was a close relative to the author !? But, I was not able to figure out who he actually was. Does anybody here know if he maybe was his son, brother, uncle, cousin etc.?

Falk

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
I believe he was the actual author of the book. Do a google search of George Longman Archery and there is a ton of info on the book and archery related items of the time period of the book.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Steve,

of course I did so before and also tried different related terms etc. When you google the name, don't forget to use quote marks like >> "George Longman" Archery << and Google will search for both words in connection.
I get two hits then and they are of no real help*.

The actual author goes by the name Charles James Longman (1852-1934)

edit:
* but I found one more hint though. George Longman obviously contributed to the first volume of the 'Badminton Library' in 1885. This would make him the same or even older generation then Charles James, not?!

----
Badminton Library
Volume 1: Hunting (1885, by the Duke of Beaufort & Mowbray Morris, with contributions by the 18th Earl of Suffolk, 11th of Berkshire, the Rev. E. W. L. Davies, Digby Collins, Alfred Watson, Sir Marteine Lloyd, George Longman and J.T. Gibbons)
----

Thanks,
Falk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©