INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Display Bows  (Read 975 times)

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Display Bows
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
I have restored/refinished several Bear bows that were either marked as "Display" (sometimes but not always) or had characteristics of bows that were used as displays. Shown are 2. The characteristics were 3 holes drilled toward the back of the sight window. I have heard that these were used to provide a shelf for 3 arrows that were snapped onto the string. The bow with the 3 arrows nocked were then hung on the wall of the shop to display the model. Is this correct and why 3 arrows ?

Al

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Display Bows
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Oh yeah the old display trick....Kinda weird too..Because about half of those were normal stock bows and the other half were shootable for the most part,but blemished.....my 66" 36# KSD was really only 64" it had the tips cut off (less recurve) at the factory for whatever reason and marked display with 3 holes.It scaled 44# as I recall.Swaped it off and the guy still shoots if sometimes...bowdoc

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
So, are the holes from nails driven in for the prupose of resting 3 arrows on the bow for display ?  But why three arrows ?
Al

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Yes field tip...razorhead and blunt advertising all three type of bear arrows..Aluminum wood and fiberglass..bowdoc

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
All the dispaly bows I have seen had the small nails going through the arrows to hold them in place.The arrows were not resting on them.Probably used three arrows just 'cuz it looks better than 1 or 2 would be my guess.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
That looks cool. I'm gonna drill 3 holes in my 59 kodiaks.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
be better if you drove three really rusty little nails.  They could double as sight pins.

All joking aside, sounds like it was a clever way to display arrows.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Up for Mike
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
TRAP,
Thanks !! Interesting.. Would be pretty neat to add to a collection.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I have seen them where the holes had screw in eys in them.  The three arrows were each in a separate eye about two or three inces apart.  All were "nocked on the string" at the nocking point together on a strung bow.  This created a fan effect for the display.  Each arrow had a different point,  Broadhead, field point, and blunt.

I do't know if the screw in eye version were done by Bear, or mayber some dealers did their own thing.

I'm sure there were variations on this.

I have a Kodiak Magnum Type I Dogleg the has a small hole drilled about one inceh below the upper and lower nocks.  These holes were used to mount them to the wall as a diplay with wire or like zip ties.  Mine once hung in the GREYLING museum.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©