INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Star Stamps and 22 on Bear Bows???  (Read 830 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Star Stamps and 22 on Bear Bows???
« on: April 30, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Okay, I've heard lots of rumors about what these stamps mean.  What do the experts say??

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Star Stamps and 22 on Bear Bows???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Could be wrong her, but my understanding is that the Star indicates a bow that was returned on warranty and resold as used with no warranty.

There are probably as many explanations for this as Bear had models.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
One thing for sure it became a second after the star got stamped in it...discount priced bows mostly...sold to boy scout troops church groups and archery lane and so on....blemished maybe,maybe not.....But they were discount priced bows...bear never really refinished to many bows as it was not cost effective..it was cheeper for them to just give you a new bow.....not to say warrinty returns for credit were not refinished and resold as well....Stars X Y 2-22's + all were discount prices mostly no warrinties this time...my 1964 Kodiak has a big old + stamped right on the serial number..bowdoc

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
My '61 is star stamped and no Ser. number.. Although I heard they repainted them, I would have to say they did a bang up job masking it, if it was repainted. So why the Ser no. removed?
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
haven't I seen 7's stamped in Bear bows too? I think  I have seen a Kodiak somewhere with 7's stamped in it.....don't remember exactly,  I must be getting old... "it's not the years, it's the miles".....youth is wasted on the young.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Oh yes Chuck 7's and 9's were on some as well.Earl the serial numbers were removed to indacated no warrenty.If your limbs are painted ones it is vary diffacult to spot...The one give-away is you can not see the fibers....bowdoc

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
I have a 68" 1959 KS with two '2's and it appears the limbs have been painted.
The only way to notice the paint is there is only one stress line, and it is under the paint but has not broken through to the top.
In this case the tips and riser overlays were applied after painting no way that could have been masked.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
I think I seen it here posted before. Kinda liked the reply. It means Fred Bear personally shot the bow   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©