INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Duke Savora Bear Takedown  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
Duke Savora Bear Takedown
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Does anyone have detailed knowledge of this bow?  It's a C riser from 1971 or 1972.  I understand it was sold by Glenn St Charles to Duke Savora, but I can't verify that information.

Dave

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Duke Savora Bear Takedown
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
That would be very possible....Glenn was a Bear Archery dealer until the shop closed a couple years ago.And Duke did live about 20 miles from Glenn's archery shop until about 6-8 years ago when Duke passed away.Makes since to me he would have gotta the bow from Glenn...Little more info Duke was in Northwest Archery quit often,as NWA stocked and sold Savora broadheads along with other Savora items and later on Savora one peace and take down recurves....hope this helps....bowdoc

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
would like info. on Duke Savora and his bows.  i bought one from a pawn shop, L.H. takedown recurve, 60# in excellent condition, and just wanted to know something about him and his reputation.  thanks,  sour owl
SourOwl

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
The is some info in a couple magizine about hunts Duke went on.bowdoc

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Thanks, bowdoc; so far i haven't been able to find articles on Duke Savora.  I'll keep looking - - about 15 or so years ago, i bought a takedown bow from Bill Stewert in Yakima, one of his wiggly-limbed models.  L.H., 56# which i truly love to shoot.  i understand that Bill and Duke worked together back in the 70's.  anyway, i enjoy target shooting my bows even tho i don't shoot enuf to be really good.  Sour Owl
SourOwl

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I have a recurve made by St. Charles and marked the DUKE by St. Charles. low serial # of 0006. I was told St. Charles made a few of these in honor of Duke Savora.

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Wadde - thanks for the info.  I have been to the St. Charles shop in Seattle many years ago, a couple of times.  I took a three-day bow-making class there, put on my Glenn's son.  I made a hickory-backed yew longbow that pulled about 60# and Glenn signed our bows for us before we left, as a keepsake.  

it sounds like the old-time bow makers all knew each other or worked with each other in years past.  Anyway, I just made a new flemish twist string for my Savora recurve, and I'll tune it up tomorrow.  sourowl
SourOwl

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
From what I have heard Glenn and Duke were close friends and hunted together. My bow is signed by Glenn as well.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Jay StCharles was actually building the bows for Duke Savora before Duke passed away.The Model that says The Duke on them were all built as far as I know by Jay and were signed by Glenn StCharles.
S O what year did you take the bow building class with Jay ? The reason I ask is my son Troy worked there for just over 8 years and I hung out there almost everyday and sometimes twice a day.bowdoc

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
When most folks hear of Duke Savora, they think of broadheads. However, there were a few models of recurves AND longbows that are out there with his name on them. It is my understanding that these bows were built by Bill Stewart and some by Jay St. Charles (Glenn's son).

I have a couple of the Savora recurves and they are excellent shooters with very nice lines. I have only shot one of the longbows. Here in the Northwest, there are a number of archers collecting and shooting them.

The Savora recurves are a nice streamlined-looking, smooth shooting bow with a classic style.

Here is some additional info I found on another site which I have copied and posted:

"I used to work for Duke in Woodinville, Washington. We sold 4 Savora bows: A top-of-the-line takedown recurve (the Premier).

An economical takedown recurve (the Express).

A one-piece version of the Premier.

A one-piece longbow.

The Premier had curved limb butts that fit into curved limb pockets on the riser (similar to a Cascade or Chek-mate takedown). The Express limbs bolted flat onto the riser back (similar to a Morrison, Robertson, and many others). Both featured brown glass. The riser on the Premier was a rosewood-colored dymondwood. The Express was a less-dense, lighter-colored, laminated material. The Premier was one heck of a bow. I didn't really care for the Express by comparison.

I hope others will correct me if I am wrong, but I think most of Duke's bow-making equipment was sold to Northwest Archery when he died. I think the longbow became the basis for laminated "Pacific Yew" longbows.

I've seen quite a lot of minor variations on the Premier and Express. Duke and his bowyers were forever tinkering and made all sorts of things in limited numbers... too many to describe them all."
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
couple Duke Savora bows for your viewing plesure.bowdoc  

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Duke Savora....did he have something to do with the Savora broadheads started in 1975...why I ask is I have an alum. arrow signed by Glenn StCharles between the feathers and has a prototype Savora.   :help:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Yes Bill that would be him.bowdoc

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Bowdoc and Blackhawk - all this info is really great; it adds to the "connection" I'm getting to this beautiful Savora take-down.  Bowdoc;  I took the bow building class from Jay StCharles in March of 1996.  Jay had laminated several staves of yew with  hickory backing, and there were four of us in the class.  The riser and limbs photo you sent of Savora bows are a dead-ringer of the one I have.  On the back of the top limb is the words "Savora custom", and on the belly of the bottom limb below the riser are the words "Savora custom; under that  it says  TD SX - N4774.L2.  under that, "A.M.O."  under that, K1-58"  60#@28".  under that, "K2-62"  Below that are the words Duke Savora.

Could you or someone help me decipher these abbreviations?  I knoiw the "TD" means it's a take-down, and draws 60# at 28", but the rest is a mystery.  Thanks in advance  Sourowl
SourOwl

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Blackhawk - your description of the grace and beauty of the Savora is right on.  That's what caught my eye in the pawn shop, plus the way the arrow-window is cut a little past center.  The string that was on it looked a little short to me, but i strung it, and shot it;  it performed well, but with the slightly  longer string I made the fistmiel is 6 1/2" and it seems to shoot better.  I originally thought that 60# would be a little stiff for me, but it pulls so smooth I can shoot it without much effort at all.  Keep the info. coming....thanks   Sourowl
SourOwl

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
great read about some Wa history.  Thanks!
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Great stuff! I had a Savora 1pc recurve. I wish I would have hung on to it   "[dntthnk]"

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
The stuff Lon Scott posted was from me.

I suspect Bryan Fry of Radical Archery Designs (Vancouver, WA) is among the best sources of info about Duke's bows.  He and I both worked for Duke, and he continued there for some time after I left.  His memory is likely better than mine!

Glen

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I have the "60" That was made by the Bowdoc. Its a Takedown Bow with Savora limbs. My favorite bow. Hope to chase some elk with it this year. Its very quite bow and at 55#, This bow can really put a arrow down range.Love the Savora limbs myself. Thanks for the added info Lon and gang. Thanks

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
I have a few sets of limbs (some finished and some not) if anyone is interested.  Just email me for more info and pics at [email protected].  I even have a TD bow I would trade or sell too.
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©