INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear 57/58/59 and Tape on Leather Top Quiver  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear 57/58/59 and Tape on Leather Top Quiver
« on: May 19, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
I know, you guys are probably thinking i have pics to share....

I wish !!

I am REALLY wanting to buy a 1957/58 or 59 Kodiak and a tape on leather top bear quiver.  I just am not sure of the approximate price these guys are costing these days.  I know they vary with condition and demand but am just looking for a ball park price.  And by chance if anyone knows of anyone who wants to part with either of the two.  

Thanks, Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear 57/58/59 and Tape on Leather Top Quiver
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Why would you want to get tape residue all over that nice a bow?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:06:00 AM »
LOL, ok, i would go for a bolt on, just have issues with putting a hole in them even more than tape.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
Rubber bands cut from bicycle inner tubes, are a good compromise.. No tape residue, no holes... Good luck on finding your bow.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
The old bolt on quivers were made for bows with the bushing installed at the factory.    I know 3 rivers sells the bushing,but I wold make sure you get a bow that had that option from the factory rather than buying one that predates the mounting system, unless preserving authenticity is not important.

A problem witht he bolt ons is that they have only one point of contact.  This can cause the them to swivel if knocked.  They also have to reverse dents in the contact point to try to menimize this, but that ends up putting two dents in the bow.

Another suggestion is pick up one of  the spring arm guivers.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
which model spring arm fits a 64" kodiak? (1959 model).  Thanks in advance!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
I like the bolt ons, they just feel right to me.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Great pics guys.  I am familure with the bows with bushings.  just for some reason always had my mind made up for a tape on.  Looks like you guys are swaying my wants, now i need one of each.  Thanks Jack

PS..Keep the pics coming...they remind me of my father and his brother when they use to go bowhunting when i was a little boy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
For display pourposes, the single point of contact bolt on's are great. I would not use them in the field.

TRAP - Do you like them for collector's authenticity, or for practical application and use?

Now, if you don't mind mounting one of the busings in the bow you have not yet acguired,  Ther is the option of the converta quiver.  Kind of a cross between a bolt on and a spring arm.  The top has the spring arm, and the bottom has the bolt attachment.  Solid conntedtion and no swivel.

Just my thoughts.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
Here is the what I believe is the one of the first 4 arrow type model after the 3 arrow leather covered slab.It was prior to silk screening,and has no slot for the bleeder blade....bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
How Cool Doc!!!!

Jack I like them for collectable purposes more than anything else.  If you have an ugly hole in the side of the bow, might as well have a period correct quiver covering it up.

While they are functional, there are alot better quivers on the market.  

I hunted with a bolt-on some last year and for the obvious reasons it came up short as an everyday hunting quiver.  The one contact point allowed the arrows to bang against the bottom limb and the distance from hood to gripper was too short which allowed more fletching noise than I find acceptable.  The quiver was fine if the bow wasnt moving but jarr things around a bit and you get noise.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
No kidding guy's...I would rather carry my broadheads in my hand then in a screw-on quiver...The single screw-on with the upper spring arm works better.But you gotta keep the spring arm down on the fade-out......Selways seem to work OK for me...bowdoc

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
JACK

Check out e8ay

#  120261840438  Best hurry though.  It is 8:46 EST and it only has an hour to go

Trap

I like the kwickee kwiver 6 arrow,  Ya gotta drill your bow for the mount bracket, but you can get brass iserts from 3 Rivers that make it look factory.  Lightweight, guiet, solid mount.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Drill My Bow!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :scared:    :scared:  

Kwickee's are good quivers,  I'm really fond of Great Northern Strap On Quivers for my recurves and Selways for my longbows.

Trap

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
I have seen the upper spring arm of the green 4 arrow quiver added to the Leather tops.. Paint it brown and it sure looks right, and makes the quiver much more usable
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
I have seen them on e-bay in decent condition for about $25.  I attach mine to my 57 with the rubber straps from Great Northern...they look and work great, easy on and off with no tape residue.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Art, did you put pins of some kind in the quiver to attatch the rubber straps to after you wrap them around the limb ?  Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©