INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Collectors turned hunters..... heading out.  (Read 2400 times)

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Collectors turned hunters..... heading out.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Awright Chuck

You gonna let us in on the story?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
I shot this bear on Memorial Day night. I had run into a sow with one year old twins coming out of a dry creek bottom about 40 yards ahead of me. I got behind a single log that was laying nearby and hid behind the root system as the bears past me, not wanting to shoot any of them. I had one of the 125 lb cubs (1 year olds) broadside at 25 yards. It was windy with winds blowing around 25 mph at that time.  After about a 1/2 hour past and they moved into some emerging grasses to feed.

Then this boar showed up and followed the same trail the other 3 bears had taken. The boar watched the other 3 bears feeding and decided to head my direction. I pulled my 454 out of the holster and laid it next to my right leg. He was trotting pretty fast but not running yet. As he came broadside at 20 yards I shot an arrow into the wind from a kneeling position. As it turns out the arrow past just under his brisket. The bear was so surprised by the arrow and the sound of the bow string. He locked  on me and came right at me. There was absolutely nothing in between us and I was alone. I shot him head on at 15 feet with one shot from my pistol. He spun around twice snapping and snarling with tremendous furry. I still had my recurve in my left hand when I shot him. I shot a 250 grain hollow point through his nose and into his chest as he came at me.
  Pepper spray would have blown right back into my face, the bear was up wind of me the whole time. ( I was told by Game and Fish when we were registering my bear that pepper spray is not very effective on black bears compared to brown bears) He ran about 40 yards and piled up. I waited till Wade came out before I approached the bear. I was pretty shook up at the time.
  So I know this was a traditional bowhunt but I was very glad to have the gun back up. At the time this picture was taken, I did not know the arrow had completely missed the bear. I feel very lucky to be able to tell this story. He had an 18 5/8" skull. Wade saw bears every day but did not kill one.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
I'd be a little shaken up myself. CONGRATS on your trophy  :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Way to go Chuck! Glad you are safe. Getting the crap scared out of you is always fun when everything turns out alright in the end!!  :scared:    :thumbsup:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
I'd still be shaking....On second thought... I'd probably be Bear food cause I cant shoot a pistol worth a crap.

Glad you are safe, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
Sounds like some pucker factor right there.
Way to keep your head. (attached)
         Kurt
Sounds pretty Traditional, more instinctive shooting than gap.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Actually this was 'another day at the office' for Chuck. The cow moose that stomped him 2 years ago was the true 'sphincter tester'!
Maybe he'll share the story with us as we gather around the virtual camp fire?

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Chuck, ever think about writing articles for magazines in your spare time?  That's a well written short story. Thanks for the adventure, and I'm glad you are a good shot!
Al

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
tell us more, tell us more.  Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
Good goin Bro.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »
Bjorn is talking about a run-in I had with a cow moose a couple years ago on Valentines Day. It was noon at work and I was getting ready to head out for lunch. I had just seen a cow and calf moose cross the parking lot and head into the green belt behind the building I work in. I had a digital camera with so I thought I'd get some moose pics in the fresh snow.As it turns out there were 3 moose, the cow took exception to the 3rd moose and ran it off into a residential area nearby. She came back to her calf and saw me standing there in a dark brown leather coat and black dockers. I probably looked like another intruder to her. She came running at me and I fell in the snow, she tried to kick me and I tried to kick back. I yelled "get out of here" and it was like she was shot of a cannon. Either it was the sound of my voice, or she got my scent or there was a guardian angel pushing her away. I didn't care, as long as I was no longer the focus of an animal that big was all that mattered. I got back up into the parking lot, feeling like I was in a bad car accident. I got one pic of her coming at me,befroe I hit the snow, any of you guys that have worked around farm animals will recognize this look...

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »
As far as my recent bear hunt, I felt bad enough posting that pic here as it was not taken with traditional equipment. It is the only pic I have of me and the bear. I didn't know I missed him until I skinned him out.  I thank the moderators for their discretion.   I was proud of a quick,clean kill and am thankful to be able to be here to tell about it. It was a fantastic hunt with a great friend. Wade is one tough dude and a hechuva good hunter. Of course we did more than hunt....

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Nice chickens Chuck
Full of roe? or just salmon bellies?
      Kurt

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
yep, those are the best size "butts" for eating....        :D

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Yes they are, just finished my mercy fillets, from my buddies.
             Kurt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©