INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Stable  (Read 1549 times)

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
The Stable
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Ok I admit it, I'm no photography wizzard. Just wanted to share what's in my stable. And I thought turkey hunt'n was addicting   :campfire:    :coffee:  

A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Stable
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Nice stable you got there
     Kurt
the one in front of the hat,what is it?

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks Kurt... Slivertip

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Very nice,how do you like the checkered grip?
          Kurt

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Kurt,
Love it   :thumbsup:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
That looks like a shooter!!!  Very nice.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »
That is a handsome devil.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
real nice!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet..........ya gotta love em,bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Mike were all of those bows factory camo or were they done by you.  

Just wondering,  My love for turkey hunting has turned alot of things that wonderful camo color in the past.  I was elated when I found a Factory camo 61 Grizzly this spring just prior to turkey season.  The 62" length worked just fine in the blind when shooting from my knees.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Sure does Mike.  I was tempted to strip it when I first got it but I'm really glad I didnt. That's how it came so that's how it will stay.  

I have plans to take it to Kansas for the early archery only turkey season next spring. You oughta grab one of your camo models and come along.

Trap

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Trap,
They are sweet looking, how do they shoot ? The thought crossed my mind about stripping and I had to tell myself knock it off LOL. That's the way they came and like you that's how they will stay.

I'll keep it in mind about grabbing a camo model and heading out   :thumbsup:

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I was wondering how that Silvertip snuck into all those Bears.  I see the Silvertip came first, then the Bears.  

That is a beautiful bow.  all I have in Silvertip is one set of limbs that were made for the Bear Takedowns.  I have it on a Brackenbery Riser that was made to take Bear limbs. Only two made.

Now, if you have collected all those Bears in one years time, I would say you have the "desease" really bad.  Matter of fact, a substantially advanced case.  You had best be careful, your addiction seems to already be out of hand.

Welcome to the world of recurve collecting.  Looks like it is already too late for you to recoup from the addiction.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Hi Jack ,
And thanks for the welcome into the collecting world    :bigsmyl:  I'm real fond of the 62 K Mag she's a shooter as long as I do my part.

Yeah I have this addiction real bad and don't want the cure LOL. I never imagined this much enjoyment and friends you meet along the way.

I'm still a greenhorn but learning about dates , woods etc. The next child I would like to adopt would be a 59 Grizz 50-#55 butcher block with rosewood sight window. I don't know if any other woods were offered for the sight window.

Thanks Again,
Mike  :campfire:    :coffee:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I saw a 50# 59 Grizz recently sell for $460.00.  

I was speaking to Bjorn about it and his comment was.  "it's about time they get the credit they deserve"  

I'd have to agree. They are sweet.

Good Luck with your search, it's out there.

Trap

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Daryl,
Thanks for the info     :bigsmyl:  

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
Looking for a coin for my 59 griz..nickle or copper anybody have one for sale... Thanks Mike
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Mike

We all collect what we like best as individuals.  Don't be surprised as time goes on that you interest may take a fork in the road from time to time, and again, and again....

One day you will run across something that catches your fancy and you will pick it up.  Next thing you will be looking for more of that make or style.

I like to look for Sabo's, Hit's, Tice & Watts, Telums, staghorns, and several others.  These were independant bowyers that many may not have heard of, but hey made great bows.  More rare than Bears or Pearsons, so in my book, more collectible.

You say you have learned a lot in the last year.  Well, belive me that most of us here, including the expertrs learn something new every day.  This is a great site to stay on.  I always say that here on the H & C Forum, we know it all.  One of us knows a bit about that, and another knows a thing or two about this.  Collectively we have a great amount of knowledge, it is just not all in one brain.

Stay aboard and enjoy the fun.  I guarantee you that one day you will be telling us something we did not know.

Do you know how the factory camo bows got started at Bear?

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Jack,
THANK YOU !!!!

I did hear one story that they had blemishes/ finish issues that could not be sold for top dollar.

Another you could actually order the bow with the factory camo for an extra fin / $5.00 . Which back then was alot of cabbage.

I'm staying aboard   :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
It started out with blemished bows.  A defect in the finish that would not hurt the shooting, but Bear did not want to sell it as a first line bow.  Pearson, Wing, and others just discounted these and sold them marked "blemished".  Bear camo painted them to cover up the blemish.  Soon they became popular and Bear started getting orders for the factory camo.  They did not have enough blemished bows to fill the orders, so they started painted first run bows.  They ended up listing in the catalogue "available in camo for an additional $5.00.  Great marketing tool to turn blemished bows into extra profit.

I have removed the paint form a Camo Kodiak and it is like a brand new bow.  can't even find a blemish, so it may have been a first run.  Some blemishes were so minute that you had a hard time finding it anyway.

In any case, under that camo paint is a brand new bow finish that has been protected by the camo all these years.  Gold lettering and all.
I would not remove the camo, because it is what it is.  If you remove the camo, then it is something else.  I did it on one and regret it.  I'll never do it again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©