INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Herters  (Read 879 times)

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Herters
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
Can anybody tell me what model Herters this is.
its at the the BAY  (230258032247).Ive got one thats unmarked. would really like to know what model/AMO and year.
             KURT

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Herters
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Looks like it might be one of their old CV models. Mid sixties? Can't quite read the serial number...
Brian Kupris

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Thanks Brian
Does CV stand for anything?
     Kurt

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
I don't know what CV stands for? I am looking at one of their 1963 catalogues it doesn't seem to say anywhere. In 1963 they had 4 different CV models at several different lengths, different laminates in the risers and on the belly and back of them etc...
Brian Kupris

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Nit sure what CV means, but I'm sure it relates to the handle. My Herters catalog says that the CVs came in either CV17 or CV22. The 17 and 22 referred to the degree of deflex in the handle.

Apparently Herter's thought the 17 degree deflex was the best EVER.        :)        to quote:

17 degrees of delfex eliminates completely any twisting of the bow and wrist while shooting.  This not only allows complete ease of shooting but also prevents arrows from being thrown out of the target from poor wrist action.  The 17 degree delfex after prolonged testing of this model, conclusively proved that 100% bow stability was required  during arrow release and that maximum cast and efficiency had been attained with no stack.

WOW! You just gotta love the way Herters wrote in those catalogs. And that was just about the degree of deflex in the handle. There's a lot more about the glass, woods, finish, and everything else. Every detail to the bow is AMAZING and the BEST EVER.      :D  

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
Any idea on what length string they took?
Mine is about done w/ the refinish, I want to write the correct AMO.
I will post some pics soon (if I can find the right AMO to write on the dang thing)
       Thanks Kurt

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Sorry just reread about different lengths,something near 61.5?
       Kurt

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Yeah their catalogues were a blast to read  :)  Usually they called for a string about 6 inches shorter than the bow length. Keep in mind there bow length measurement was not AMO on the old bows. I have found that if they listed one of their bows to be 62" it required a 56" string.. By my measurement it actually was a 60" bow. But I could be mistaken..
Brian Kupris

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
From my 1968 Catalog;  I think your bow was made by Herters for several years. They were called .... ready for this "Herter's Model Perfection Turkish Laminated Composite Wood and Glass Bows". They came in RH & LH and in 62", 59", 56" and in  52" lengths. Have no idea what the string lengths would be. Basic designation was QA2N##. and came in 25# to 60#. I sent you a separate email re: Decal.
Al (Als Decals)

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Also, Shamus has a thread called "Herters Brace Height" but the 68 catalog listing only says "deflexed to an exact degree for each specific bow length" and does not list individual brace heights.

I'd just treat it like any other unknown bow and start with a string length where the upper loop is about 6-8" from the upper nock (bottom loop in the nock) and see where it comes out - too long or short.
Al

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©