INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 58 kodiak blows up  (Read 970 times)

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
58 kodiak blows up
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
well I now have to rethink shooting old bows I know a fella who was shooting a 58 kodiak in perfect shape the limb tip gave way driving the sting down into the limb ya bad news.To me bows were only interesting to me if I could shoot them
now I feel it is okay to let them hang while they are still in one piece what are your thoughts?
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 58 kodiak blows up
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I've had high dollar name, brand bows rip a tip completely off the bow in less than 2 years...fastflite compatable too...the bowyer said it HAD to have been dry fired...ok...I agreed with him if he thought a dry fired bow  shot an arrow 20 yds to the target on the shot that ripped the tip off....blowups can happen on any bow at any given time. I own them to shoot....if they don't shoot, I make kindling out of them.

Billy

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
makes sense Billy was that bow that blew up made oregon???? just  ?
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
I had a 6 week new 1300 dollar bow blow up. Upper limb split right up the middle top to bottom, and broke right across mid limb--it was spectacular to say the least!
Bowyer replaced both limbs no questions asked.
It can happen to any bow any time-new or old-like Billy said.
I have a ton of old Bears and I have shot every one, including the Crystalights and Alu lams.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
I had a 1958 bought off the e-b-ay. Beautiful bow, blew up into 3 pieces the first time I pulled it back. That is a bummer for sure.

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
ya I have my 50lb Thunderbird the chalet is still in Nason creek. If any of you have read bows on the little delta you know what I m talking about.
Thought it would be a cool hunt for a old vintage bow. On second thought the chalet may have burned in a forest fire or the cabin burned dont remember which but one of them is still there. Be
cool to go up there with a gift wrapped razorhead or a micky finn and present it to a big old mossback
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
1963 Kodiak Magnum Type I.

Had never been strung.  It was off the wall of the Greyling Museum.  Had been in a private collection for years.

So what does Dummy do?  Strings her up and trys to shoot her.  Not a good idea!  First shot, last shot.

Shoulda gave her to my Mother-in-law.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Talk about Spectacular!!!  How many Bears are in a ton? ? ?    ;)    ;)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
How many Bears are in a ton? ? ?

I would guess...1,112 Bear bows in a ton.

I have only had two bows blow up and neither was made by Bear.
Lon Scott

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Or a ton of Bears could be 44 of them with an average draw weight of 45 pounds.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Thank you Tony, I was going by #! LOL!!  :D

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Tyee....no....the bow was not built in Oregon. I'm not going to give the bowyers name because it is subject to happen with any bow. The bow was 2 years old, and out of warranty, so I had to buy another set of limbs........I wasn't very pleased, but it was past the warranty date, and I did order a new bow from the same bowyer a while later. I still have both bows and IMO, they are some of the finest, best bows built.

Billy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©