INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: vintage target bows  (Read 2250 times)

Offline cornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
vintage target bows
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Wonderin if anyone on here collects or has a passion for vintage target bows?Groves,Bears etc..?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: vintage target bows
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
I have 1 Groves, 2 Bears, 1 Hit, 2 Hoyts, 1 Widow, 3 Howatts, 3 Pearsons, and 3 Golden Soveriegns.  I want to get a Wing Presentation I, but you dont see them that often.

My ultimate quest, my El Darado, is to own a "Jack Howard Target Master Supreme".  Never seen one, have nwever seen it on e8ay.  I only know of its existance because of my friendship with Jack himself.  He sent me some old postcards with pictures of them.  B-U-T-FUL!!  GAWJOUS.  I don't know how many he made, but they are super scarce.

Anybody got one?  Anybody ever see one?  Anybody ever heard of one?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Brian Kupris

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
Looks like an early Groves Takedown. Is it? Pretty bow.

Do you shoot it much?  What draw weight?  Tell us something about it.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline cornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
I'm guessin Herters

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »
1970 Herters Utopian. Rosewood and Maple riser with 2 aluminum laminates. Seventy three inch (Herters measurement) and 40lbs @ 28". Yes I have shot it with the local target archery club here but I am more comfortable with about 35lbs for target shooting. In the right hands I think it could produce some very respectable scores.

Just remembered I have one of the metal handled models of this in storage at my mothers in Michigan.
Brian Kupris

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
I really want to find a howatt catilina 45ib# for my dads retirement present
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
You mean like this one

http://cgi.****.com/DAMON-HOWATT-CATALINA-RECURVE-BOW_W0QQitemZ230257755742QQihZ013QQcategoryZ20839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OK, I can see Herter's in that now.  I guess I was just going by the limb mount system that looked somewhat like what Harold Groves put out.  Nice bow.

Now in Howatts, I would like to get my hansds on a Del Rey.  They are nice bows and great shooters.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
I didn't either.  I am taloking about the one piece old Wing Presentation from the '60's.  

What did Al point out to you as a diffeence?   And Al who? Time to learn something new.

I guess it makes sense that he original would just be the "Presentation".  What was the PI.  I know the PII was the takedaown.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Hello to everyone here.  Hopefully you can help me.  Several years ago I picked up a Voit AMF Wing P2 at an auction for a couple of dollars (part of a box lot).  The bow is an all white TD, 30 to 40#'s (adjustable) and is 66" long.  I would appreciate any info anyone has, as I know nothing about it. Pictures at  http://hunthorse.smugmug.com/gallery/5094064_viZfw#307107595_n7Erf

Thanks.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Hello Jack. Nice to meet you.
I have an extra LH if you're interested. It's a sorry pic but I can get a better one if interested.
Al (Als Decals)

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Phil, I believe that what you have there is a Competition II (AKA CII) made by AMF-Voit-Wing in the late 70's. They made them for several years during that period. I never owned one so you can tell us how it shoots. At a "Couple of bucks" ...... are you kidding me. You can't go wrong with that.

They came out with the original Competition II in about 1972 but it had a different riser configuration and different limb attachment system. It was a machined dovetailed "Slide-Loc" system that worked very well, but expensive to manufacture so they later dropped it and went to the limb configuration on your CII. The riser on your bow is shared with some compounds marketed during the same years as your CII.

You will see early CIIs for sale occasionally but I have never seen your model for sale on the popular sites yet.

A little side story; Mike Palmer (Palmer bows) told me that he tried to incorporate the Slide Loc system in his T/D but it was too expensive.

Al (Als Decals)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Al,

Thanks for the info and photos.  I wish it was in better shape, a few dings/gouges and yellowed limbs, not too bad overall, but, for $2 I can't complain. This is the only CII I've seen-granted I haven't looked real hard for one, but I would have thought I'd see one on one of the various sites.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Some very nice bows in this thread  :)
Brian Kupris

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Shows you how long it has been since I have seen one.  I guess it kinda reaffirms why I want one.  Beautiful bow.

Is the Pro Medalist a PM or a 2PM?  It does not look much later than that.  I have a PM and a 5PM

Now the 5PM is a beautiful bow, but my understanding is that it is not rosewood as are all the other Pro Medalist models.  It is supposedly stained hard rock maple.  You will have a hard time telling it is not rosewood, the stained maple looks great.

Check out the 62# 5PM at 330241565113  on e8ay.
At first I thought it was a mistake, but there it is written on the bow.  Now who would have shot tournaments all day long with a 62# 66" Pro Medalist.  More of a man than me "fa show"

Is that a rosewood "Colt" with a tiger wood I beam riser?  If so, I have never seen one like it.  It may not be a Colt, but it sure has the lines of one.

Ahh, that was the end of an era.  That is when the Pro Medalist, the Presentations, and the Bears all went to takedowns.  Not quite the same in my opinion.  I love the bows from the '60's.  They are my passion.

You are killing me with all those old beauties.  Drooling all over the keyboard.  What do you consider your best shooting Tournament bow.

I have some nice ones, but believe it or not, the best shooter I have is a '66 Ben Pearson Palomino, 66" 40#.  I inherited it when my lifelong best friend passed away and his widow told me I should have it.  It holds a place of honor on my wall.

It is great to have some of these old beauties, but when you have one that has a personal attachment, a bit of sentimentality to it, it takes on a whole new meaning.  some bows can come and go, some are here to stay forever.

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Very nice, hope to have some pictures soon of a Bear Victor Patriot 66" 27# and a Hoyt Pro Medalist 5PM 66" 42# I just picked up, I'll try to get them up first of the week. Always nice looking at the pretty ones

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
How do you know Ray.  I got to know ray when he pushed my bid up on a slightly damage old original Jack Howrd GameMaster.  I would have had it for $25.00 but he pushed it up in $2.00 increments up to $49.00.  I e-mailed him and told him that my high bid was $50.00.  If he wanted it just bid agian and he would have it.  He did not bid.  I e-mailed him again and  thanked him for pushing my bid up and promised I would do the same for him some day.  He responded that he was just trying to see where I was on the bid.  I blasted him because his curiosity cost me an additional $25.00.  I told him if he ever wanted to know wher I was, just ask and I would tell him insted of pushing my bid up.  We traded a couple of ugly e-mails then I ended up calling him.  From that point on we have had a great frienship, although it got off on a bad start, and I have never met him.  Turns out he is a pretty great guy.

That threw me on the Mustang.  My 50# Mustang is 60" and a bubinga riser.  Not nearly as pretty as yours, and certainly not in as good condition.
Although I do have a few really nice bows, my collection is more of quantity rather than quality.

I had a solid rosewood Colt once, but I did not have sense enough to keep it.  Beautiful sold riser with some great grain to it.  That  is one of those that fall into the "wish I had Kept' catagory.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Jim that Wing is sweet. Rosewood ?
Mike
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Great looking bows! Here's a few of mine............

This is a Colt, 32 lbs. First bow I ever owned.

My favorite is the Groves GS 300 II. I bought it new in 1972. 35 lbs.

Last is my daughters Bear Cub. 27 lbs. I taught her to shoot with this bow and have offered her other bows but she remains loyal to this one.

No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Can't beat those Groves with the Dyna Stressed limbs.  Smoooooth shooters.

Now that "Colt" has to be a Colt Firearms bow.  Not a Ben Pearson Colt... Right?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©