INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The St. Charles Influence  (Read 1636 times)

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
The St. Charles Influence
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by kurtbel5:
Hi Adface
  I like to learn a thing or two about your Grandfather too,wouldn't mind knowing more about you also.
Please share anything you are comfortable with.
              Kurt
I don't mind.  My granddad, Glenn St. Charles, had a great deal of influence on me as a photographer and psychology major in college.  In fact, my grandmother, Margaret St. Charles, also influenced me to become involved in photography.  I have been a photographer since 1996 and have pursed the field in several ways (professionally, as a student, and as a hobby).  

My grandfather was an amazing photographer and took many photos when hunting.  He even developed his work at home, in what ended up being the kitchen for the employees at the NW Archery Store.  I have some of his old photography equipment from the early 1900s that still works.  My grandmother inspired me because she made an effort to photograph all the events she attended and even took down names and address to send people the photographs she took of them.  

As far as psychology - my granddad some years back told me that he had attended college for a period of time and one of his favorite and most useful classes in his life was psychology.  I took him up on his advice and attempted to take a psychology class at Highline Community College in Des Moines, but was not dedicated enough to the class to follow through.  A few years later, my granddad encouraged me to take psychology once again, as it had helped to see people in a different way.  For as second attempt I followed his advice and 2 years later completed a B.A. in Psychology.  Currently, I've been debating on going on and getting a masters or doctorate in the subject.  

My granddad is an inspiration to accomplish great things and I continue to pursue helping society with the abilities that I have.  

As far as archery is concerned, I have only been involved through working at the NW Archery Store, attending events with family, and the information I have learned through my family.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The St. Charles Influence
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Your grandad wielded a great amount of influence on many more people than just you.  He was an inspiration for many of us in the early '60's.  As a 14 year old archery enthusiest I, and many others folllored hs exploits along with those of Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, Howard Hill, Jack Howard, and Bob Swinehaert.  He was up there with a pretty elite group.  He was a living legend in his own time, and still is.  Many of us lived out our fantisies through his actual experiences.  I was so into him that I bought a 1964 St. Charles quiver so I would have it when it came my time to pack into the Little Delta region, which never came to pass.

The cool thing about him is that he is still with us.  It would be great for someone (like a close photographer/physchology major) would do an in depth interview about his early interest in archery through all of his exploits and post here for everyones benifit.  Of course tha would probably end up as a book with great commercial value.  It would be a great read that should be entered into the Thread about the traditional Greats.

Please pass on best wishes for a long and healthy life from all of us, his loyal followers.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Adface,
Nice meeting you.
A lot of the good hunters I know, seem to be pretty good psychologists, weather they called it that or not.
What do you enjoy shooting with your camera?
 thanks for stopping in, I hope you become a regular here.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Hi adface......to what do you attribute the handle? Do you do any archery and/or bowhunting?
I enjoyed reading 'Bows on the Little Delta' not just because of the archery and hunting; but also the story of a young man growing up in the PNW.
It was written very openly and manner of factly, and left me wishing for more.

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 03:14:00 AM »
Hi Adface would like to invite you to the Glenn St. Charles Classic on August 16 a trad only 3d shoot it will be held at the Tacom Sportsmans club to honor your granddad This will be the first, and I hope it will grow into somthing special. Every bowhunter owes Glenn a big thank you for all the hard work he has put into our sport. As for photos maybe the greatest picture taken was that of Fred bear looking over the river of No return that Glenn took on their hunt there it says a thousand words
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
This forum gets better and better every time I visit!!!!! Adface my dear friend who is in 60's has told me a story of when he nearly kicked your granddad out of his pit blind in Colorado at Smith's sheep ranch while Antelope hunting. The story is one you want too hear on every visit. Needless too say, they spent time in the pit blind and Mr. St. Charles signed his bow which was later washed away the same day, due to non- permanent ink. Mr. St. Charles remembered him at very P&Y convention and gladly signed his bow with permanent ink and they always had a good laugh about it. Thank you for posting here!

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Are you shooting a Thunderbird? I have always enjoyed my conversations with your grandpa over the years, great man, great legacy. 96 years young! Best wishes as always.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
I only lived about 2 miles from the NW Archery store, and usually found a reason to stop in 2-3 times a week on my way home from work.  

Glenn, Margaret, Suzanne, Joe and Linda are very special people and I treasure the times with them.  I even took one of Jay's bow building classes and loved it greatly.

It was also here that I first met the Bowdoc, Don Ward,  as well as other numerous fine and wonderful people.

A very special thanks is due to the St. Charles family for all you have done.
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »
Hey is this who I'am thinking it is ??? There is only one StC into photographs....is it you ? bowdoc

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
Hey is this who I'am thinking it is ??? There is only one StC into photographs....is it you ? bowdoc
It's been a while since you posted this, but yes it's me.  How goes it?

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
I only lived about 2 miles from the NW Archery store, and usually found a reason to stop in 2-3 times a week on my way home from work.  

Glenn, Margaret, Suzanne, Joe and Linda are very special people and I treasure the times with them.  I even took one of Jay's bow building classes and loved it greatly.

It was also here that I first met the Bowdoc, Don Ward,  as well as other numerous fine and wonderful people.

A very special thanks is due to the St. Charles family for all you have done.
Thank you.  I miss the store, but often will go to the Archery Bistro now.  I need to get on board and take Jay's bow building class... I have been wanting to for years.  And Don Ward and his family are some of my favorites.

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by alaskabowhunter:
Are you shooting a Thunderbird? I have always enjoyed my conversations with your grandpa over the years, great man, great legacy. 96 years young! Best wishes as always.
Unfortunately I haven't shot a bow in quite sometime.  Thank you.  Granddad was a great man and is heavily missed now.  Thank you again.

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by flinger1:
This forum gets better and better every time I visit!!!!! Adface my dear friend who is in 60's has told me a story of when he nearly kicked your granddad out of his pit blind in Colorado at Smith's sheep ranch while Antelope hunting. The story is one you want too hear on every visit. Needless too say, they spent time in the pit blind and Mr. St. Charles signed his bow which was later washed away the same day, due to non- permanent ink. Mr. St. Charles remembered him at very P&Y convention and gladly signed his bow with permanent ink and they always had a good laugh about it. Thank you for posting here!
How funny.  If you have more stories I'd love to hear them.

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by tyee:
Hi Adface would like to invite you to the Glenn St. Charles Classic on August 16 a trad only 3d shoot it will be held at the Tacom Sportsmans club to honor your granddad This will be the first, and I hope it will grow into somthing special. Every bowhunter owes Glenn a big thank you for all the hard work he has put into our sport. As for photos maybe the greatest picture taken was that of Fred bear looking over the river of No return that Glenn took on their hunt there it says a thousand words
I heard that shoot went over well... and I know there have been many since then.  Hopefully, there will be more to come and I will have to find my way to one of them.

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Hi adface......to what do you attribute the handle? Do you do any archery and/or bowhunting?
I enjoyed reading 'Bows on the Little Delta' not just because of the archery and hunting; but also the story of a young man growing up in the PNW.
It was written very openly and manner of factly, and left me wishing for more.
The only thing I have to show at this point in reference to archery is that of my family, working for my granddad for 2 years at his Archery Store, and attending events with my Aunt Suzanne and Uncle Roger.  All of which are very special memories of mine.

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by kurtbel5:
Adface,
Nice meeting you.
A lot of the good hunters I know, seem to be pretty good psychologists, weather they called it that or not.
What do you enjoy shooting with your camera?
 thanks for stopping in, I hope you become a regular here.
I like most to photograph nature and my children.  However, I tend to do a lot of wedding's, senior photos, pregnancies and so forth.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I knew it was and a sad time for everyone sorry about Glenn bd

Offline adface

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
I knew it was and a sad time for everyone sorry about Glenn bd
Thank you. He lived a long a blessed life. He was a character even in his last hours. He passed peacefully. We kept saying to him that he must be one of God's favorites. He seemed ok with going. We (his family) all of us had the opportunity to tell him we love him and goodbye.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Thanks So much Ad, for keeping us informed during these times,,Prayers sent, Im headed for Archery Bistro,,,,,,,,,

Offline lesaint45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I remember you also adface more as a young boy/man though. I visited your Grandads store for the first time in 1956, I was 11 ( we lived 2 blocks away) Bought a lemon wood long bow from you great aunt Rose. I have spent many hrs, over the years in that store and with your family from time to time. My Dad was the scout master at the church we all attended. He just had his 90th Birthday. I had the pleasure of seeing your Grandad at the tradional shoot this last July and he still was as sharp as ever. What a great man What a great life We all should be so lucky! Larry St. Laurent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©