INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: ANYBODY EVER HEARD OF RUSS HOOGERHYDE?  (Read 972 times)

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
ANYBODY EVER HEARD OF RUSS HOOGERHYDE?
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
I HAVE A DOZEN FOOTED SHAFTS FROM EARLY 40'S THAT SAY RUSS HOOGERHYDE INC. NORTHBROOK ILL. ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING?
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ANYBODY EVER HEARD OF RUSS HOOGERHYDE?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
Russ was one of the outstanding target archers in the 30's and early 40's. He is mentioned quite a bit in Dr. Elmer's book "Target Archery" that was written in 1943? That book was re-printed in the Darrydale series that Glenn St Charles did several years ago.
Russ won several national titles shooting the "York and American rounds"
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
THERE WAS AN OLD NEWSPAPER CLIPPING WITH ARROWS THAT WAS SHREDDED BUT I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER(KIND OF)THAT HAD A '37 DATE. IT WAS JUST ABOUT ARROW FLIGHT SPEED.
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Hi SSB
You are yelling at us in internet emotions,All capitals.Just letting you know.Ive been yelled at before.
        Kurt
 PS nice goodies you have got

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
sorry, new bow (GRUMLEY) and arrows, got a little excited

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
HaHa No problem,your among friends that get excited about old wood to.
Really glad your bow came as expected,I checked out the picture's when it was listed, any hope we could drool on some better pics from you?
               Kurt

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Surprised no one remembers Russell...
Check out Time magazine, August 2, 1937.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,770748,00.html?promoid=googlep

"Favorite for the title was a onetime Michigan lifeguard, Russell Hoogerhyde, 31, who, after winning in 1930, 1931, 1932 and 1934, retired to build up a profitable Chicago business in what true toxophilites call their "tackle." Hoogerhyde's proficiency with a bow & arrow really started in 1929 when he decided his form was bad. He shot 1,000 arrows a day for six months while slowly changing his arrow "anchor" grip from just behind his ear to under his jaw. Last week Hoogerhyde's rivals on the firing line were archers like Dr. Robert P. Elmer, the Wayne, Pa., physician who won the national title eight times, wrote the Encyclopaedia Britannica's article on archery and insisted on entertaining his rivals last week with bagpipe music every noon and evening; Captain Cassius Hayward Styles of Berkeley, Calif., onetime aviator who, after being shot down four times in the World War and ordered to live in the mountains to regain his health, took to bow & arrow hunting, now earns his living by making tackle; and Ed Miller, husky Buffalo, N. Y. Customs Officer, whose quiver was made from a moose's foot. Any one of these or most of the other amateur or professional toxophilites in the running for last week's championship could have given any aboriginal American archer a handicap and beaten him. Indian procedure in bow & arrow hunting was to stalk a quarry until practically on top of it instead of depending on long distance marksmanship. When each of the 106 ablest bowmen in the U. S. had shot his 468 arrows, Russ Hoogerhyde was champion again, 2,865 to 2,599 for Ed Pikula of Cleveland."

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Oh, and old Russ was inducted into the archery hall of fame in 1972.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I will see if I can send pics, I havent been able to figure it out yet

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
I have seen the name spelled Boogerhide, which is correct?
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
The sgnature on the arrows is Russ Hoogerhyde and then printed underneath so I am pretty sure that is spelled correctly

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
SNS good score..Purty neet arrows.I believe Russ was also a great trick shooter as well..bowdoc

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks, nice arrows.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Just to add to TonyW's comments, Russ Hoogerhyde was also won the NAA tournaments in 1940 -- basically dominating the sport during the decade 1930 to 1940.  A close friend of his was Larry Whiffen.  He was also related to Myrtle Miller, founder of TWAC -- known as The World Archery Center.  He taught archery there.  He and Carl G. Thompson wrote "Archery Aims: archery as a sport with common sense shooting methods", Pinehurst, North Carolina, Archers Company, 1931.  This booklet is extremely scarce due to the fact that many copies were lost in a fire after being printed.  My copy had been signed by Thompson, and I was fortunate to meet Russ at TWAC and have him sign the book as well.

TonyW noted in the 1937 article that Russ lost to Ed Pikula.  Pikula was from Cleveland and made a unique bow.  The bow was a thin bow width-wise and very fast.  I'm fortunate that I have one of his bows.  His bows were very popular for a period of time.

Dr. Elmer [mentioned in the article along with Cassius Styles] claimed in his book "Target Archery" that "in the opinion of many his [Cassius Styles'] yew bows have never been excelled".

Just a couple of pieces of information that I thought might be interesting to some.

Tox Collector
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©