INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: My first "Dogleg"  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
My first "Dogleg"
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
After all this praise of the "Dogleg", I made the decision to grab my first one when a nice one become available.  

Tradgang member "Johnny Razorhead" put one on the big auction site...which I won, and it just arrived.

My first impression of the grip and feel of this 45# bow was rather positive, and it sure liked aluminum 1916's.

It's not quite the looker of the Kodiak that "ckruse" posted here earlier, but now that I've shot it for a while, maybe the "Dogleg" is not quite as ugly as I had thought.

Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first "Dogleg"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Nice.....bowdoc

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
You gotta love that lighning bolt riser!  :cool:  CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
If I keep telling myself they are ugly I can resist the incredible urge I have to shop for one.  What an ugly bow Lon, I wouldnt give a nickel for one.  

Okay I can resist it for another week maybe.

:bigsmyl:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
Trap, when you can stand it no more, get with me. I have a couple of extra. One is on the classifieds now. You may just have something to trade me for one of my old "DOGS" CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Hard to believe that 60#er lasted 22 hours at that price.  

Nice bow Lon.  They do grow on ya dont they.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Although the asthetics of the bow is what most guy use to judge "beauty",  many of us old farts that were around when the dogleg came out have extra appreciation for it is history and meaning.

I was about 16 when it came out.  My best freind spent the Summer working for his uncle in Michigan, and came back with a '63 dogleg.  That is just part of my personal interest in the model.  Most of us remember it as the Bow that Papa Bear used to take the Tiger in India.

Many of us followed the exploits of Papa Bear, Jack Howard, Bob Swienhardt, and other archery icons, and lived our fantasies vicariously through their adventures.

In my opinion, you have a beautiful bow.  It might not have the burled look like camerons, or the irridesence of mine, but it still has the MOJO of Papa Bear carrying it throught the bush in India stalking his first Indian Tiger.

Another thing you have is one of the best shooting hunting bows ever made.

Enjoy the beauty,,,enjoy the MOJO...enjoy the shooting.

If anyone tells you it is ugly, it is because they have no taste.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
If you are referring to my post, let me make it crystal clear that I was joking.  

When I first saw them I thought they were a bit bizarre in design, but I've grown to like them very much.  

They are cool to me because there is no other model year close to them in design.  

I'm pretty sure I owned one in the mid 80s but had no idea at the time what I had.  I purchased it at a garage sale, not sure how much I paid and traded it in along with 3-4 other Bear recurves and some cash a year later for the latest greatest wheeled contraption of the time. I think it was a Golden Eagle Round wheeled compound with recurved limbs.    

I've lived alot and learned alot since then.  

I've heard they are great shooting bows and I'm sure I'll be testing those claims soon.

Trap

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I believe the 63 was Fred's "Tiger" bow.. Hard not to love a bow with that history.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
good luck with her Lon. I like the looks of her also.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Besides its radical design and downright homely looks (notice how I avoided the word "ugly"), I was also under the false impression that the 63 Kodiaks were flawed because of the problems associated with the Magnum. I am glad you experts straightened me out.

This bow is such a shooter, it's really tough to put down.  Among a few others, I have a couple of 59's and a '65, but this bow is a better performer.  

However, my 50# 1962 Kodiak still has it's place at the head of the table.
Lon Scott

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Who let the Dogs out??

Maybe we should start a Dog Club.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
First I must find my 64 and then maybe the Dogleg.. Nice bow Bill.
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Now there's a club to join?  wow you guys are making this really tough   :(

Trap

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
I sort of like the dogleg kodiaks. Always thought the dogleg grizzlys were a bit fuggly.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 02:11:00 AM »
Be nice Jeff,
Just cause my dogleg grizz has jacuzzi green glass, does not mean she's fugly.
Its Shag nasty green, as one 60's throw back might say.
Thats why I thought limb covers were invented.
                Kurt

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
TRAP

Not referring to your post at all.  Just speaking in general.  Everyone has his own taste and preference.

Glad some mentionet the problems with the 52 doglegs.  These DO NOT apply to the 60" '63 Kodiaks.  They are solid shooters that have had held up well over the years.

There are different scools of thought as to what is the best shooting Bear huntion bow.  It is pretty much a three way tie between the '59. '63, & '64.  There are also those that prefer the '62.  I think they are all great shooters and a lot depends on what you have in your stable.  For instance, I don't have a '59 or a '63 so naturally my votes go to the Dogleg and the '64.

It is kind of a case of "love the one you're with"

It is my opinion that back in the '60's Bear made more hunting bows in 45# than any other weights.  50# are a lot less availablem 55# even more so, and 60# are almost non existant.  I think Papa Bear himself normally shot about a 60# but stepped up to about 70# for the tiger and large bears,  No telling what he used for his elephant.

In any case, most hunters shot about 45#.
That;s why there are so many aroung.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
In the other thread I was going to say:
"The wood in that Dogleg was so nice - it gave me a bowner" [sensu CKruse 06-2008]
  :D     ;)  

When the 60# Dogleg was offered I was tempted to jump for it - but thoughts on all the associated mess with shipping and our evil customs etc. etc. let me refuse - not worth it - only to add 3#
So I shall stick with my Dogleg - even when it can not compete - woodwise - with some of those recently shown. It is a good performer and shots really fine - as already mentioned so often by others. One hint to this is for example, that it likes 2317 shafts! I have never meassured actual draw weight on mine. It might be some pounds above the 57# given on the riser?! I will do a FD-curve these days. Wanted to do that anyways. We'll see ...

Applying for a membership,
Falk

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Falk I love the looks of your set up...Here's my 55# Kodiak Dog (finish removed).......This one has been in my collection for like 10 years and is a great shooting bow fast and hard hitting....but I just traded it off last weekend for a Bear green stripe take down with 50# white tip limbs,which is also a great shooting bow....and now you guy's got me thinking I maybe should have thought it over a bit longer....damn-it Jim......bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©