INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1970 kmag refinish  (Read 895 times)

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
1970 kmag refinish
« on: July 19, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Hi folks. I have been looking for an older kmag that I could use for hunting. I finally found one that that I picked up from Ted Fry. It was 55lbs and appeared to be a good candidate for a refinish. It has some stress in the glass around the riser / fades like a lot of the older bears do and the finish on it had yellowed to the point that the grey glass looked green. It was also cracked pretty bad throughout. But it was a shooter.
I ordered some decals from Al to replace the silk screens. The decals worked great and look great too.
I also asked Don his opinion about true-oil verses thunderbird epoxy. So I ended up using the thunderbird.
I have to say I was inspired by 4runr’s refinish of his kmag and learned a few things from it.
It didn’t turn out as nice as a pro could do it but it will definitely work for a hunting bow. One thing I like about the older bear bows are the silver coins. A lot I have seen have an oxidized appearance that looks cool to me. So instead of polishing up the brass coin on mine making it shine I oxidized it before I glued it back in. I think it turned out pretty good.
Anyway, thanks Al and Don. Oh, and if anyone has an old beat up kmag that is of hunting weight and you want to get rid of it keep me in your thoughts. I really like the kmag and would like to pick up a few more. Here are a few photos.

Matt

I changed a few photos, just didnt think they looked right

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1970 kmag refinish
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Great Job Matt!!!!!!, what kind of finish did you use?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
SWEET   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
that baby looks just fine from where i'm sitt'n! good job Matt.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Hey Matt that thing looks super,nice job.....bowdoc

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. It takes a lot of work. I can build a bow quicker than i refinished this one.

TRAP, the finish is thunderbird epoxy.

Im not sure why but all my photos have a haze to them. Need to learn how to use the camera correctly i suppose.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Nice job Matt!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Thanks Rich, the only white flecks i can find are a couple that seem to be inherent in the glass. After i read that, i took it outside and gave it a twice over thinking i may have not noticed. Is it something you've seen? And if so, was it with the gloss version or one of the semi-gloss/satin versions?

Thanks Kenny, i've learned a lot from the one you did on here.

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Very nice job Matt. Now that's a hunting bow you can take in the woods Au Naturale. What was your process to oxidize the medallion?

Al (Als Decals)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
vineger will oxidizes some coin types...but not the brand new one's 3r's sells...bowdoc

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks Al. Those decals work great.

To oxidize the coin i pollished it with some brasso then put a cotton ball soaked with brasso in the corner of a ziplock bag. then take a cup of water mixed with some salt, dip the coin in that and then place the coin in the bag with the brasso soaked cotton. Dont let the coin touch the cotton and within 5 min. the coin will be black. The ammonia vapors in the brasso will react with the salt water and the brass. Like the bow doc said, vineger will oxidise brass to but i think you get a green color and it takes longer. Havent tried it to be certain.

Thanks Rich, i was curious.

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips Matt & 'doc.
Al

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
How do you guy's know this stuff ? How does one "ever" find out that ammonia vapors react with salt water, and vinager will oxidize brass. And so on...I'm amazed by this. And who'd think the cotton should never touch the brass coin ?

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
We all had a meth lab back in high school!  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©