INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kodiak/Super Kodiak Questions.  (Read 564 times)

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak/Super Kodiak Questions.
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
1) When (approximately) did Bear Archery start putting sight bushings into the side of the riser on the Kodiaks?  Early 70's?

2) On these bows, what model year would red limb tip overlays suggest?

Thanks,
Harry.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak/Super Kodiak Questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
1) I have a 1976 SuperK without bushings - I think they were optional - not sure when they started
2) 1973-75

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Lets talk about the tips first.

The first year Custom Takedown limbs ('70,'71?)were either black limbs with white tips, or white limbs with black tips. These are the most sought after by collectors.  The risers that year had brown plastic bears on the clamps.

After the first year, all limbs had red tips.  I think this carried until the move to Gainesville.  Gainesville tips are green.  The second year and beyond, the risers had black plastic bears on the clamps.

As far as the inserts on the sides of the risers (I assume you are referring to the inserts for mounting a standard bow quiver, or sight) was just after they introduced the the mag riser takedowns.  They had the riser itself tapped for the the standard set up for quivers.  After that they started putting bushings in the wood risers on most of their bows.  Target bows used them for sights, hunting bows used them for quivers.

Not long after that was when Bear started focusing on their compound models which was the death sentence for the quality Bear recurves.  Never been the same since.  It was also around the same time they did away with the flat coin and came out with the new raised coins on the side.  So part of my evaluation on the desirability of the old bear bows is "iff'n it ain't got a flat coin, it ain't in my collection"... which is about seven times what you see in my avatar.

I have no doubt that some will challenge my opinion of post flat coin Bears, but it is my opinion. Raised coins might work for them, but not for me.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Red limb tips came along around 1973-ish and blue tip limbs were around 1975-ish and then more red.There was limbs with white,red,green,black and blue tip limbs.Also a few of the rarer brown glass limbs with brown tip overlays.If you are asking about the sight and or quiver bushing ? They were an option form the early 1970's.But to also answer your question there were no Kodiaks after 1966.They were all Kodiak hunters...then around 1985 bear reinturduced the Kodiak with the laminated risers......hope this helps a little...bowdoc

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks Guys for the info, I am now more confused than ever...LOL. Really, It has helped.
Harry.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm a little confused myself, I thought you were asking about Super Kodiaks, but most of the info was about Custom Kodiak takedowns.  :help:
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
supers had white,red,blue....white was 1967 1/2 until around late 1972-ish and then 73-74 were red I think then 75 white and 76 blue possibly...bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©