INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Three Jacks  (Read 1279 times)

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Three Jacks
« on: July 27, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
I was able to complete a Jack Howard trifecta of sorts earlier this week when I acquired a one owner 1970 50# Gamemaster. The bow came with all of the paperwork, several brochures, 2 different Bowhunters Catalogs, the bow sock, etc., right on down to the reciept from Kittredge Bow Hut and a picture of a deer taken with it! Before you throw anything at me, I feel fortunate and blessed every day, and just wanted to share.  :)  

Left to right:
1970 Gamemaster 50#
1996 Gamemaster Jet 48#
20?? Gamemaster Classic 53#

I don't know what year Jack Started producing the Classic, but this is #10, which was still done with Jack's handwriting (which was beginning to fail), prompting him to go to a sticker with the serial number and poundage very early in this series. CKruse

"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three Jacks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Now you've done it...my search is going to be rekindled.   :thumbsup:  

I had contacted Jack a few years ago about ordering one, but never got around to it before he passed on.   :banghead:
Lon Scott

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Another view-- lots of glare on these pics, but you get the idea! CKruse

"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Cameron

Good for you!!  

That Gamemaster looks almost brand vew

I have 4 Jets, 2 Gamemasters, 1 Classic, and 1 Hunter, Srill want a "TargetMaster Supreme".  My "Holy Grail"

Blackhawk

Be carful about getting ANY Jack Howard bow,  Once you shoot one, all of your other bows will become wallhangers.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
You must have bought the gamemaster from Jim in Pa ? I was a little too late calling to tell him I wanted it.You bought the classic from me last year glad you're happy with it.
       I just came back from Denton Hill and took my Gamemaster Jet for a walk and it seemed I couldn't miss.Jack you're absolutely right there are Howard bows and just "others"

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
Ron, In the words of Ed McMahon, You are correct sir! I noticed you've been looking for Howard bows, and kind of wondered why you sold the Classic. I like the 66" bows the best, but I'd say the Classic is probably the quickest. I just got done doing a camo job on the Jet (belly and back only), and plan to take a deer or two with it this year. Jack, I'm always watching for that elusive target bow, I do have a picture of it- but have never actually seen one. CKruse

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
In a moment of insanity I thought I wanted to look for a little lighter poundage one.I was preparing to leave on a moose hunt and wanted a little extra cash just in case (I should have sold guns instead) I have picked up a Howard Hunter 48# and am still interested in another Jet or Classic in 48# I have a Jet that is 53# and it's just a little heavier than my other bows 48# is just right for me.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
The Howard Hunter is really a Damon Howatt Hunter with Jack's logo on it.  Now there is nothing slouch about a Damon Howatt Hunter, they are awsom bows in their own right.  However, they do not have Jack;s limb design, and the glass and core ,aminations are not spine matched.

Jack's customers had been bugging him about coming out with a 62" model.  He did not want to retool sna rejig for  62" so he bought about 50 Damon Howatts unfinished and did them with his logo.  VOILA!!  The JACK HOWARD HUNTER.  He told me that he regretted doing it because it was not his design.  However, I think he got the idea for the JET riser from that experience.  Compare the riser design of thr Howatt to the JET.  Notice any similarity?

As far as the TargetMaster Supreme, if Jack had not sent me pictures, and told me all about them, I woul say they do not really exist.  Been looking for onw for years, never found a trace, or anyone else that has.  Still looking.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Yes when on the bow rack the hunter is very similar in shape to the Jet and I wondered if Jack hadn't worked the riser slightly to look more like one of "his" bows.As you've explained to me before the hunters are pretty rare since Jack really didn't sell many or continue to offer them for very long.It's a nice piece of Jack's history and I will hang on to it to be a part of my collection,hopefully I'll be able to find a couple more Jets and Classics in the future.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
I hate you ,LOL, my dream is a Jack Howard bow in a 60#. Seen a couple but they went for way more than I was willing to give at the time.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
Cam CONGRATS >------->
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Nice "Set" Of Jacks, Cam.  I'd bet on those.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
RON

As a collectible, a Howard Hunter is definitely worth having.  Only about 50 made,  As a shooter they are every bit the same as a Howatt Hunter.  A great bow in it's own right.

Danny

When watching for a Jack Howard bow, don't forget about the original Gamemaster.  Those old bows have stood the test of time, and at 66" are really smooth shooters.  I have one with a 1/4" X 8" slice of glass missing from the belly starting at the upper notch and it still shoots solid,  The old ones are great collectibles too.

The only real difference between an original Gamemaster and a Classic is that the Classic has a steel rod molded into the plastic section to make the riser more ridged.  You can tell by putting a magnet to the riser on a Classic and it will hold on.

All the JETs are the exact same except for two exceptions.

1. Jaxk made some camo models and he saw no sense in using exhotic woods  in the riser since it would be painted.  So, he used a solid piece of hardrock maple.  It turned out that these solid risers made a slightly faster shooting bow than his laminated rosewood risers. This was because it was more ridged.  My 56# Camo JET shoots faster than my 57# Rosewood JET.

2.  At rhe end of his career (and his life( he made a few JETS with carbon limbs.

Other than these two variants, Jack told me that there was absolutely no difference berween his first JET and his last.  If you find an old jet in good shape, jump on it.

Jack died at 85 yrs old and he still had two classics in the works.  His widow sent them to Rich and he finished them off and sold them for her as the "Ultimatr Collectible Jack Howard bows".  The last two he made.  Rich marked them as serial numbers 1 & 2,

One of the Greatest Bowyers that ever lived.  He was a real artist.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Jack, the classic was also only made in 64" as opposed to the Gamemaster's 66" length. I wouldn't begin to challenge your knowledge of Jack Howard's bows, but that much I do know. CKruse

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 01:17:00 AM »
Great eye candy, good job.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Cameron

You are correct, sir.  I forgot to mention that.

Don't ever hesitate to corect me if you think I am wrong.  That's how I learn things.  If I am wrong, I learn something.  If I am right, you learn something.  That's a win/win situation.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Jack, I do still need you to send me a PM with your address. I've got a small care package to send your way.   ;)  I really enjoy the respect and general lack of bickering that shown here at TG. We've all grown lots in knowledge and we've become a pretty tight group! CKruse

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Cameron

If the care package is a Targetmaster Supreme, my address is

JACK MILLET
233 Macedonia Rd.
white, GA  30184

I posted it here in case ANYBODY has a TargetMaster Supreme they might have an urge to send me.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!!

I STAND CORRECTED.  Cameron, You are correct Sir.

The classic is 64".  The Original Gamemaster, and the Jet are 66".

The Hunter is 62", and the ever elusive Target Supreme was I think about 68"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Thanks for bringing this back.  ;)  

On another site there was discussion of the metal rod,  but x-rays and magnets did not reveal any from the small group of owners.  :campfire:  

Anyone got more info on this?  :dunno:
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©