INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Visit to Grayling  (Read 750 times)

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Visit to Grayling
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
Well, I had a good visit to Kalkaska, and spent 1/2 day in Grayling exploring.  As promised, here are pictures of the old Fred Bear factory (really, what is left).  

Got some good pictures of the Au Sable River behind the factory (Pronounced "ah sabo" (short 'a' sounds) by the locals-never could tell if the "L" was being pronounced or not-that Michigan accent is there but not distinct, to my ears anyway).  

I imagined the workers taking their lunch break at the log table and chairs, and some new bow designs being shot out back.  I have provided a link to all the pictures for those interested, and here are a few to start things off.

On a personal note, I found out my wife's dad used to dig in the factory dumpster for exotic wood scraps that he used in his woodworking mosaics.
   Old Bear Bow Scraps?

More Bear Factory Pictures

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Visit to Grayling
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Very cool, but kind of sad. Thanks for posting the pictures. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Very sad..I bet you could almost feel Fred There. Thanks For the nice pics.
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
sad indeed.

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
I was in town all last week too. Too bad we couldnt have met up. It was Canoe marathon last weekend dont ya know.

By the way, What accent? I never knew WE had an accent. I thought it was just the rest of you.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Cool Stuff, Thanks for sharing Ron.

I'll bet ya Fred sat on that stump at some point.  I hope you took a "sit" to absorb some "mojo".

I wonder how many Bear razorheads are imbedded in trees around that place?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
I'll bet that place was rockin back in the day. You could have backed up to the loading dock and loaded up your truck with exotic wood scraps.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks for posting those, I have often wondered what the place looks like today.    Thinking back to what it once was, and what it is today, certainly drives home the point that nothing lasts forever and how short life is.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
Wow there's a trip down memorie lane, I used to work at Ray's in Grayling. Dont know if he still has it but the owner of Ray's had one of Fred's drift boats.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
The Bear factory is still standing.  At least it was on June 28.  Not sure what the middle picture represents.

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Jon I think you are refering to Hanson Hills where the MTB Jamboree was held. The only thing that was at Hanson Hill (Or Bear hill in the 70's) was the museum which is now gone. That middle picture is where the main plant was. There is only a shipping and receiving building left at the site. Most of the plant is gone, with just that concrete remaining. The plant was located right in town on M-72 just after you cross the railroad tracks.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
The middle picture is the large concrete pad that was under the plant, according to my 2 brothers-in-law who grew up about 15 miles away.  If you follow the link at the bottom, there are other pictures of what is left at the factory site, the shipping and receiving building, other views of the concrete pad, and more pictures taken out back by the river.  These were taken on July 26th.  

Ron

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Ron,
Got it.  I saw those buildings and assumed that was the remains of the factory and the concrete was the parking lot. Now I know why my wife says I am wrong all the time!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©