INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1959 Kodiak, the 31st on the 31st!  (Read 1354 times)

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
1959 Kodiak, the 31st on the 31st!
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
I was fortunate enough to acquire another 59 Kodiak, keep in mind I've only had a couple since I've been collecting. One I kept, the other I sold after a while to fund buying another bow. I believe I'll hang on to this one also!

This time I think I've hit upon a rather rare one. I believe it would be the 31st 60" 1959 Kodiak produced! Wade Phillips taught me a little about the serial numbers via email a couple of years ago. This one is BA031, 60", 44#.

"B" indicates a 60" bow, "A" is the first series as in A,B,C..., and 031 is the 31st in said series.

I received the bow yesterday in the mail, so I got the 31st on the 31st!   :biglaugh:  CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1959 Kodiak, the 31st on the 31st!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
This bow has very similar multicolor tips and overlays like the "BB" series bow I sold. Here are some pictures of the tips and overlays on the BA031. CKruse

"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Unlike a lot of the very early 59 Kodiaks I've seen with a maple sight window, this one has extremely dark rosewood, which also contrasts nicely. This kind of illustrates how much switching up they were doing in the early stages of the 59 Kodiak. CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm still in the process of administering lots of TLC to the bow. It was all original except for missing the feather rest. A beautiful TRAP-built replacement was already on hand, Thanks Daryl! BTW, some guy over on the *********** was giving you  props on your rests see the "Howatt weakness" thread.

The grip had a lot of tape residue, which cleaned off nicely and will be serviceable. The bow has the least amount of stress that I've ever seen on a 59. It's straight, and a nice shooter. Yep, I've already shot it! Here's a couple of shots of the excellent silks: CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I won't say what I paid for her, because I don't like the thought of a rock suddenly flying out of my monitor and hitting me in the head! The owner set the price, and that's the way I'd rather do this kind of deal.

Besides, I did get shorted somewhat:

There's no coin!   :saywhat:  Yep, too early in the run for that! CKruse

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
real sweet Cam. good luck with her.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Kruse..A bow to be proud of for sure! Let us know she shoots. Nice find..Mike
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the Kudos both here and there Cam.  

I'm honored that my rests are gracing the shelves of such beautiful bows.  

That's a sweetheart of a 59. Congrats   :clapper:

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Beautiful bow!  :)
Brian Kupris

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
CK - thanx for the knowledge. I did not know that about the serial numbers. My '59 is BD312. I guess that means I got a real late one. Oh well; still love it.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Bill, my other one is BF350, so it's even later yet! Funny thing it's also a 47# bow. It exhibits the common red/white tips and overlays with the purple heart sight window. Regardless of the combinations, I don't think I've seen one I didn't like!   :thumbsup:  CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
Nice bow Cam...I hate to dispute Wade about something but bear serail numbers have very little meaning.Not meaning any disrespect to anyone.They repeted the numbers a couple times..But the key would be your bow has no coin hole but does have riser overlays.Meaning it was probley more likely produced sometime very late 1958 to around 1st or 2nd month of 1959.The really early 1959's have no coin but have no riser overlays eather.I'am sure Wade will verify that as he sold one to Steve A.several years ago and sure wanted it back bad at one point...you know more along the looks of a 1958 with no overlays..You still got a putry good looking rare bird there........bowdoc

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
No offense taken here at all Doc. I'm learning everyday from guys like you, the Bearbowman S. Smith, Al Reader, and many others. I wish I still had the emails from Wade, they were on a different computer and I'm not sure I saved them anywhere. I know there are really no absolutes where Bear bows are concerned. I'm sure Al Reader and Wade Phillips have probably documented a lot about these bows. I'm looking forward for Wade's new book on Bear's most collectible bows. I guess I can hunt with this little jewel and take a deer late in the year this year/early next year and do my 50th Anniversary Civic Duty!    :jumper:    CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Yes it's purty diffecult to figure them out.I have more then 1,200 bow serial numbers of which I've collected off bows I've worked on the last 10-12 years maybe 200 or so of them are 1959's.And another 1,000-1,200 I've bought sold and traded off or traded for.But it's kind of like Bear was hidding something from the IRS almost,the way they scrambled the numbers for whatever reason..I'am sure Wade should have the 59 Kodiak on top of the list as that is by far the most saut after of all Bears hunting bows.It's even more of a prize to most collecters ie hunters & shooters then the 1960's.I think because Fred shot his 59 Kodiak probley more then any other year one piece.He just like the way they shot I guess.....I may use my 1959 51# next year for bear hunting...I think that would be fitting....bowdoc

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
BEAUTIFUL BOW CONGRATS >-------->
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
Great idea Cam, The bow I'm starting out with this fall is my 58 Kodiak.  Going to cover those white limbs with a really nice set of camo sleeves that you sent my way.  Sorry no pics untill it's laying across the side of a MO White-tail or Wild Turkey.    :bigsmyl:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
That sounds cool. I guess I can cheat and play the middle since this one was made either late 58 or very early 59!   :campfire:  Man, I can't wait for cooler  weather and hunting season! CKruse

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
nice bow... did you get it off e8ay? It cleaned up good, I would say the you have an early one there...Also I was wondering one more question.. are you shooting it? they were meant to be bent....
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Chuck, not an e8ay item. If you look at my earlier posts, I've already owned up to shooting it! Great shooting bow. I'll be watching the tips carefully as time goes by. CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
You know I was just about to make a deal with someone to sell my own 1959 Kodiak....but I always keep thinking of not finding another one I like to shoot as well.I myself like the 64 incher over the 60 incher.I think the 64" shoots better for me anyhow.They are slower but more forgiving then the 60".Much smoother on the draw and release and a much quieter shooting bows then most any other models built in 1959 or today for that matter.64" 59 Kodiaks and 62" 59 Grizzlys are about two of the quietest model bows ever manufactured..But I just can not bring myself to pick up the phone and make the call to the buyer....I was shooting her a couple of days ago and kind of saying well...see ya later old friend,it's been great,time for you to move on,I need the money..whatever....but I shot 3 Bill Sweetland forgewoods into the boiler room of my Mc 3D mule deer target from 22 yards out,tight and almost all 3 in the super kill.Thats a good group for me,believe me.....So now I'am back to will I ever find another I like that well ??? man life is cruel sometimes.....ya gotta love em huh?   bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©